• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lovejoy?

Guest Shepshed runner

Guest Shepshed runner

I've just signed up to East Midlands stsrgazers today, so hi everyone. I've had a telescope now since last Christmas and love looking at things I don't really know! I know that the comet lovejoy is around and does anyone know what time it's likely to be? I live in hathern near Loughborough, I know it's roughly to the right of Orion's Belt? But haven't got a clue at what time to stick my head out! Any replies would be most grateful.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Love joy has been discussed quite a bit recently, have a look at this link, it should answer your question.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/9234-how-where-to-see-comet-lovejoy-c2014-q2-during-january-2015/

With regards to timings, it is currently 42 degrees high, unless there are any tall trees near you, you should be able to see it now (cloud permitting).

Hi Mark and welcome to EMS :)

Lovejoy is available most evenings at the moment - it'll start to fade away around the end of the month but may still be visible for some time to come. It's quite easy to find using the chart given by Daz above - I found it in a few seconds the last time we had a clear night using only binoculars.

Once you know roughly where to look using the chart - familiarise yourself with star patterns in that area using Stellarium then pop out and try hopping to it - possibly with bins first to be sure where to point the scope.

If you don't have Stellarium get it here: http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/ Hth :)

Hi and welcome to EMS.

Don't expect to much as it basically looks like a round smudge. But when you consider what you are looking at it makes it worth it.

Good luck in finding it.

Its fair belting along as well, if you look at the path on the finder chart you can see that you wont find it in the same place even after 24 hours

Guest Shepshed runner

Hi you'll have to excuse my ignorance with this but Daz said its about 42 degrees high at about 5:20 is that itme roughly the same tonight and does anyone know how long it'll be visible for? And I'm embarassed to ask but will it be going up or down?

The comet will never stop and always goes forward, so depending on how fast it's moving you need to add a little distance onto the previous night.

Edited by Doc

Hi you'll have to excuse my ignorance with this but Daz said its about 42 degrees high at about 5:20 is that itme roughly the same tonight and does anyone know how long it'll be visible for? And I'm embarassed to ask but will it be going up or down?

Don't be embarrassed, if you don't ask questions you will never learn :)

To simplfy for you, it will be going up and slightly right, will be visable for all of January and into February but will be getting dimmer and dimmer as we move towards the end of the month and into February.

Did you find it mark? It was in fine form last night. Still couldn't see a tail as such but the coma did seem to be slightly elongated on the tail side. Collimation was good.