• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dew Strap Positioning

gfletcher

Hi Guys

Having recently bought an Astrozap dew strap and Hitech dew controller I am asking about the positioning of the strap on my LX10 OTA.

The problem I have is that when my dewshield is attached, the front edge of the strap will be about 2" back from the corrector lens of the OTA

Will the strap have the desired effect being that far back from the corrector lens?

Your help will be very much appreciated

Graham

Edited by gfletcher

Two inches back is a bit far back - if it works at all it's going to take a long time for the heat to make it through to the corrector plate. You may also find it needs constant full power to be effective. Can you wrap it round the corrector and then put the dew shield on after - so it sits over the band? Or perhaps modify the dew shield, or maybe even make a purpose built one from camping mat.

Some folks make a purpose dew band that sits inside the flange of the scope directly in front of the lens - I think Philj might have done that if I recall correctly. :)

Food for thought there Kim

Thinking about a purpose built dewshield that fits on the inside of the flange on the OTA, how would you secure it in place as the depth of the flange is maybe only an inch long?

Graham

Thats what I did when I had my c11 Graham, I built a dew strap that fitted on the front flange, that together with a long dew shield kept dew at bay with very little power required

It might work if the dew strap goes around the outside of the shield, depends how thick it is I guess. If not then the other way around if the shield will fit over.

The dew heater was inside the flange, the dew shield goes over the outside of the flange so no interferencek I shall dig out some pics when I get chance. I used comax resistance wire calcukated for the wattage, this was then insulated with heat shrink. Then I threaded it through some microbore copper pipe. The pipe then bent to fit inside the corrector flange.

There you go Graham, I thought I had posted a run down in the DIY section sometime back but couldn't find it, the pics would have gone anyway.

Once I had the microbore pipe bent to suit I heatshrinked that as well to make it look nice :D

As you can see the heater is not touching the corrector but the flange, which is as close as you can get to where you want the heat. Far more efficient than trying to heat the complete front end of the tube assembly up with an external strap, I shall do something similar for my Mak one day

htrfront.jpg

Guest CodnorPaul

I put my dew band round the outside of my C8 just to the rear of the corrector plate housing and never had a problem with dewing