• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Pete's Black Box

Guest Tweedledum

Guest Tweedledum

With Pete purchasing his behemoth dob, it became plain that some bits and bobs needed doing to complete and make work.

1. First task was to source an encoder cable. Surprisingly Orion would not sell one to the used scope market. Thread on SGL here...  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/218217-orion-telescopes-will-not-supply-spares-not-orion-optics-uk/

Well one encoder cable sourced, job done.

2. In order to route power to dewbands and a usb pass through, something was needed to neaten up the plethera of cables now potentially adorning the garden cannon..This was henceforth known as the 'Black Box'.... A bit of project creep saw Pete wanting the inclusion of 12v inverter for a laptop / netbook....Some discussion followed as I was the one shoe horning this together..

3. Box sourced, some nice bright aviation grade power couplers, 12v marine grade connector, usb pass through and some rugged cable followed.

4. Pete drilled the box, er twice as on the learning curve discovered how hard the abs box was..

16321850896_d537497219_o.jpgBox1 by DAR-PICS, on Flickr

With the knobs on

16346055421_5dac5b9240_o.jpgBox2 by DAR-PICS, on Flickr

15725375204_6f7df6607e_o.jpgBox3 by DAR-PICS, on Flickr

Side ports for dewstrips & USB

16321852956_5c8b7c2059_o.jpgBox4 by DAR-PICS, on Flickr

The two 12v out ports with the 20v  offset for the netbook / laptop..

16161617269_e9f33901e3_o.jpgBox5 by DAR-PICS, on Flickr

The underside with the 12v in marine connection.

16161918107_5ea4d90369_o.jpgBox7 by DAR-PICS, on Flickr

And the finished inside, constructed 'cup' to fit the dew controller in as the 'control knobs' were vulnerable. This was epoxied in along with the psu for the netbook / laptop..

16160443240_e31396a125_o.jpgBox8 by DAR-PICS, on Flickr

Now the leads for the dewstrips to go via conduit on the truss of the dob, and the video leads.

Cheers

Edited by Tweedledum

Lovely job, thanks Damian :thumbsup:

Nice work. What are you using for the dew controller?

The guts of a Hitecastro 4 port dew controller is squeezed in there somewhere :)

Great idea with the epoxy to secure the dew controller. I was a bit concerned at first when we had it just hanging on by the 4 knobs.

You've done such a neat job that there's plenty of room left in there for a bit more project creep Damian :) :)

That's some seriously good work Damian [emoji106] Wish I had the technical know how to do stuff like this. Really professional looking job :)

Guest Tweedledum

Thanks folks, plenty of room there Pete for that lovely bright 20w LED thermometer and voltmeter   :P ......Could fit in a powered usb hub if needed..... Some sort of power rails would be nice and  4oz of C4 if anyone tries to take it off the dob....

Thanks folks, plenty of room there Pete for that lovely bright 20w LED thermometer and voltmeter   :P ......Could fit in a powered usb hub if needed..... Some sort of power rails would be nice and  4oz of C4 if anyone tries to take it off the dob....

No point wasting valuable space if we can fit some useful stuff in there ;) .

very nice job, wish i could figure out how and what i need to do things like that, electronics and cable give me a head ache.

Guest Tweedledum

Martyn,

12v output on the side for travel kettle :thumbsup: ... Wouldn't compete with the mash machine though...

Rob, you need a problem first, analysis,  then lots of planning before you hit the soldering iron :)....

First thing that came to mind when I saw the pictures was
>http://youtu.be/iDbyYGrswtg

• Like 3

Good find Alan :)

Don't know how they did it, but they've managed to cram it all in to exactly the same box! It's really got me thinking now...

Could I manage to get that much volume back into my hair? :)