• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

12" scope rebuild

Rusty Strings

Some of you know about a 12" newt that I've rebuilding. It was built originally in the 70's by a friend of mine and languished in his dome obsy even after he lost interest in astronomy. As a result, the elements ruined the primary coating and when he finally dismantled it to store the mirrors, he dropped the primary and took a thumbnail chunk out of the edge. I took the lot of his hands 18 months ago with a view to rebuild it. The original design which worked fine for the astrophotography of the day, didn't lend itself to being very portable so I've built the upper tube assembly and fitted ali tubing to the original hexagonal lower tube structure. It was originally on a eq fork mount, long since scrapped, so I've put it on a dob mount and even though the spider and secondary aren't yet fitted the whole thing balances very well with a sight tendancy to be heavy at the primary end so adding the spider telrad and an eyepiece should even it out nicely.

Here are some pics I took tonight with it fitted to the mount for the first time. No, the primary isn't installed only a pair of counter weights that are the same weight.

Guest Kheldar

That's looking really good John :)

Will the final product be enclosed, or open as is at present?

Also what cell design are you using, some scopes like this tend to have an almost "unheld" primary?

Thanks guys.

I will be fitting some baffling around the primary and secondary and I should think I'll need a light shroud I'll see when it gets first light.

Felix

I have a primary mirror, it was ground by my mate and has some damage to the edge which shouldn't affect the performance. The coating was hopeless so a visit to Orion optics sorted that out, it now has a lush hilux coat.

Cheers Mick. It's F5 so I'm guessing the focal length is 60". The truss poles are not cut to length yet so I can determine the optimum length at first light.

Looks fantastic John. I always wished I was good with working with wood/metal just never really tried as I don't have a clue about it if I'm honest!!

I do have acces to a well equipped workshop which helps no end. The next stage will be the spider. The original one was on a single 3/8" diameter steel stalk that I was never keen on. The chap that built it used the scope for DSO imaging so I'm guessing the two bright defraction spikes didn't bother him. I intend to use it for more general purpose stuff so planetary/lunar stuff might not look so hot.

Sounds interesting-would love to see it sometime when ya finished. Is it intended to be portable? It's pretty huge! I have mild back ache lugging the base of my comparatively tiny 200p any significant distance!

Guest black eyed hexy

Very interesting John , enjoyed the pics , I,m considering using hilux coating,s on my bino mirrors, I,know that it is twice as much as standard coating,s , but can,t make my mind up who,s opinion to go with , so would appreciate your view if you have an opinion. thanks dan

I can't comment on the performance as yet. When I took it up to Orion I asked them to test the figure and would determine whether or not I went Hilux. Apparently it is very good (I didn't make by the way) so it got Hiluxed. It cost £146 which added to the £50 I bought the scope for and the £50 or so for plywood, ali tube and fixings, £40 for ebony star laminate, it won't have cost much for (hopefully) a good performing 12"dob.

Edited by Rusty Strings

Fantastic, keep us updated John, like Felix, wish I had the time and know-how to build such a thing.

That's a nice looking scope John, with a mirror of that quality in it, the views should be outstanding.

Look forward to seeing it down the CC when you have it finished.

• 3 weeks later...

Not had much chance to do owt recently. Hopefully the summer will get the job finished