• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Venus and Mercury 16/01/2015

Johnnyaardvark

Not to exciting but was something new for me. I had never seen Mercury before. Have seen Venus many times and observed some of it's phases with an Argos telescope as kid.

I had caught Venus naked eye a few times at the start of January but had always been a little late to see Mercury. I was getting ready to try and image Lovey and Pleiades on Friday the 16th and pleasantly surprised (and amazed) that I could see Mercury naked eye. I didn't know you could really and expected to have to hunt for it in bins.

Not the most exciting picture in the world but really nice to catch this and another planet in our solar system ticked off as seen! :) Maybe sometime I'll get around to trying to view both if this in a telescope sometime too.

Steve

16212575200_d2719aa955_b.jpgVenus and Mercury 16/01/2015 by sja88, on Flickr

Nikon D5000, 1.6s, ISO400, F5.6, 18-105mm at 105mm

I saw Mercury for the first time last week. Was a nice surprise to catch it as the sun set. I only need to see Neptune now to complete the set :)