• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rotary Encoder

Guest zidder

Remote Display Angle Sensor Encoder with Shaft

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Display-Angle-Sensor-Encoder-Shaft-Rotary-Table-Dividing-Head-/390837006581?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item5affb370f5

This looks interesting and great price, could this be used on a dob base instead of setting circle ?

Apologies if links aren't allowed 

Edited by zidder

Encoders have been mentioned a few times before, I do not see why they would not work, I just have no idea how accurate they are?

I`m not even sure if any of the dob owners on EMS have encoders or not, it has been talked about and some body was looking at one once but i don't believe they ever got round to doing it.

If you go for it you would be the first I believe.

Remember you will need to power it somehow.

Encoders have been mentioned a few times before, I do not see why they would not work, I just have no idea how accurate they are?

I`m not even sure if any of the dob owners on EMS have encoders or not, it has been talked about and some body was looking at one once but i don't believe they ever got round to doing it.

If you go for it you would be the first I believe.

Remember you will need to power it somehow.

Accurate to 0.1 deg.

The gauge is powered by a standard CR2032 battery located behind a twist lock compartment on the rear of the display.

Edited by zidder

If you believe all the blurb I'd say go for it, interested to see how it would be fitted, it's a bit of a chunky beast unless your going to strip it down?

I have fitted one of these in the past. I drilled a hole in the top of the centre bolt, inserted the encoder shaft and then secured the shaft via a little grub screw I tapped the hole for.

It worked to a fashion but it was not as accurate as I had hoped for.

Get more accuracy via the setting circle.

They're only £32.50 from the company who supply them:

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/angle-measurement-digital-gauge-protractor/rotary-angle-encoder-and-remote-display-with-a-6mm-diameter-shaft.html

They reckon it's accurate to one tenth of a degree and they take phone enquiries about their products (subsidiary of Allendale Electronics). :)

They're only £32.50 from the company who supply them:

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/angle-measurement-digital-gauge-protractor/rotary-angle-encoder-and-remote-display-with-a-6mm-diameter-shaft.html

They reckon it's accurate to one tenth of a degree and they take phone enquiries about their products (subsidiary of Allendale Electronics). :)

The ebay listing is Allendale, robbin so-en so's :D

Edited by zidder

The ebay listing is Allendale, robbin so-en so's

Not really, eBay will be taking 10% off them and paypal another 2%, they've got to make a living somehow. eBay used to proper kill my business with all the fees etc......... rant over :lol: You get my point though :)

I had one, and took it off, it was hopeless. The problem was the shaft had to be dead central to the rotation of the base boards. I found that even a very small deviation from this caused errors to start, and moving the base backwards and forwards would end up with compounded errors over four degrees out. 

I liked the idea of this, and went back to it a number of times, I had a new bolt made, which was dead accurate, but it still didn't work.

It's still kicking about down the shed somewhere.

Stick with the vinyl setting circles, they don't cause problems.