• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mirror condition

Guest zidder

Optics are only pristine when they are brand new, the rest of time they build up dirt and, with the case of mirrors, maybe some oxidation but with modern coatings this takes a long time to happen. We can live with a heck of alot of muck on optics and still get good views and when to clean or recoat is a matter of personal choice/preference.

I for one put up with quite a bit of muck on my optics preferring to limit the number of times I clean because everytime you will cause some imperfection, no matter how small, on it unless you do it in lab conditions.

I see Daz has looked at your mirrors and reckons they are ok but it looks like you have convinced yourself there is something wrong, so go for it but remember its risky.

I had a 20 year old 8" mirror set which had oxidised awhile back, cleaning was no good BUT the views of Jupiter were dead sharp although milky and star tests showed faint but good intra and extra focal airy discs, again milky. So I suspect something else could be the cause of your problems.

If you are really set on pristine optics have a word with Orion Optics they can recoat your mirror and they are just up the a50. I did it with my vintage 8" mentioned above

Optics are only pristine when they are brand new, the rest of time they build up dirt and, with the case of mirrors, maybe some oxidation but with modern coatings this takes a long time to happen. We can live with a heck of alot of muck on optics and still get good views and when to clean or recoat is a matter of personal choice/preference.

I for one put up with quite a bit of muck on my optics preferring to limit the number of times I clean because everytime you will cause some imperfection, no matter how small, on it unless you do it in lab conditions.

I see Daz has looked at your mirrors and reckons they are ok but it looks like you have convinced yourself there is something wrong, so go for it but remember its risky.

I had a 20 year old 8" mirror set which had oxidised awhile back, cleaning was no good BUT the views of Jupiter were dead sharp although milky and star tests showed faint but good intra and extra focal airy discs, again milky. So I suspect something else could be the cause of your problems.

If you are really set on pristine optics have a word with Orion Optics they can recoat your mirror and they are just up the a50. I did it with my vintage 8" mentioned above

Thanks for the input Phil. I haven't really convinced myself something is wrong, I don't know if there is something or not . Buying something second hand especially something delicate like a scope is a totally unknown quantity, Daz & Baz where kind enough to come round and check it out and set it up for me.

I think once I can get to a meet and let someone have a look through it all my doubts will be dispelled

Oh and I stick with the "use nowt but mild soapy water, fairy liquid, to wash the mirrors, then wash down with distilled water and air dry" brigade. Also I advocate not touching the surface with anything not even a cotton bud.

Gary, not being funny but have you had your eyes checked out recently. Only reason I ask is that you seemed to have problems with my scope that night at Martyn's although mine had cleanish mirrors and was well collimated and looked fine to me, not saying my eyes are great. Just a thought.

Gary, not being funny but have you had your eyes checked out recently. Only reason I ask is that you seemed to have problems with my scope that night at Martyn's although mine had cleanish mirrors and was well collimated and looked fine to me, not saying my eyes are great. Just a thought.

Andy, Did I not tell you I'm as blind as a Bat     :umnik2: Not had them checked for a while, could be, which is why I think it would be useful if someone else had a go with it

err Kim, would not use isopropyl alcohol, propan 1-Ol is the main buffered constituent of Baader wonder fluid (35%), which is an isomer of iso propyl alcohol (propan 2Ol). Which is not recommended for mirror coatings.

Why not? Isopropanol isn't acidic.

Have a look at Dion's video if you're desperate to clean your mirror. I followed it to the ether when I had my 200P and it went very well. Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/0tRHYSzaRLk

Does anyone else see Dions video playing with audio slowed right down although video is ok?

image039_zps705954cd.gif

Having a look at astrobaby collimation guide came across this, a near on perfect example of what I was seeing when I did star test just off focus, except without the rings,  maybe answers my query ?

When I first got my NR in 1982, I made what I thought was a mistake of trying to remove a tiny piece of grease from the primary. I picked most off manually, then used teased lens tissue dipped in distilled water, then lightly brushed the teased wetted paper over the small area.  When it dried, I could see tiny sleak marks where I had probably grazed the surface. These could only be seen at a glancing angle, but other angles, I couldn't see any mark at all on the shiny surface. I worried I might have ruined the mirror, but not so.  Some months or may be the year after, I looked at one of the two bright stars in Gemini with high power. One of them (I can't remember which) was, at that time, a closely spaced double star of about 2.8? arc sec. When I looked at it, it was a boiling turbulent silvery ball. I was disappointed and thought, ruined mirror. But I looked several other times and still, a single ball. Then on one night, using the same magnification, the star appeared as two stars just touching each other like a figure eight with a thin black line space in between them. I had resolved the binary.  I think it had a period of twenty odd years and since then, they may have opened up more and easier to split (or closing again?). But at the time, they were close. Although the resolving power of an 8" is, I think about 0.5-1 arc second, I was pleased that the binary had been resolved. There are more testing closer binaries, but this was enough for me.  Have a go at that star (it's either Castor or Pollux).

Edited by Orion

image039_zps705954cd.gif

Having a look at astrobaby collimation guide came across this, a near on perfect example of what I was seeing when I did star test just off focus, except without the rings, maybe answers my query ?

Erm, there are rings easily visible in that image so if yours is the same you have nothing to worry about

Erm, there are rings easily visible in that image so if yours is the same you have nothing to worry about

Mine doesn't have the rings just the star burst effect