• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter brightness

Guest zidder

Been looking at Jupiter on and off recently. My question is, because of the brightness been quite difficult to see much detail, is there a recommended filter that will help increase contrast and bring out more detail ?  I have tried a moon filter but that didn't seem to help much

Thanks

Edited by zidder

Ibbo introduced me to a 80A blue filter, this really brings out the bands and spot. It's not ridiculously expensive either.

There are sets of filters, which usually have red, green, yellow and a moon filter, these work out around thirty pounds and I then bought a 80A on it's own.

Have a read of this for other filters and what effects they have.

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

Of course, this is also down to what works for you, I have found that what works for someone else doesn't always work for you. Try some out before you buy the more expensive ones.

Edited by BAZ

Thanks for posting....

I've never yet tried a filter with my set up. Of any sort. Maybe i should.

Certainly with the moon my bino will dim it sufficiently for me not to really require one.

It's amazing how bright it is with mono vision at high power....ouch !

As for Jupiter, pretty much the same. I've never found it too bright to the point where i feel a filter would be beneficial.  

I'd be very interested however, in seeing how it looked filtered.

Last saw Jupiter about a week ago. Seeing conditions that night ruled out me using my 13mm eyepieces with 2.6x GPC (often the case) 

However at 126x with the 19s it looked quite surreal in my Mk V. It had a 3D almost spherical look to it. 

I use planetary filters regularly, they pull out different features. Blue on Jupiter is good also I use a baader contrast booster which works quite well. Sets of coloured filters are cheap and well worth a try

Ok.....my look into getting a few.

Where do I put the filters .?......I think the 2" diagonal nose is threaded for them...

.....or do I need one for each eyepiece....?

Think you'd dim the view too much with one for each eyepiece.

I'd get a set of 2" to fit in the diagonal.

The trick to disregard the colour of what you are looking through, it can be difficult, but learn to disregard the unreal colour of the filter and try and see the detail of what you are looking at. You will find that the filter brings out detail that may have been there without one, but is drawn out by the effect the filter has. It might dim it a bit, but selectively lets the light through from what you want to see.

The Moon looks weird when using a green filter, but it seems to increase the contrast, particularly around the edges of Mare and darker crater area's.

If you use a white light filter for the Sun, stick a yellow filter on, again it sharpens the contrast. Putting a UHC on as well brings out some of the granulation, you get a better effect with this towards the limb and a lower angle across the Sun.

Try what filters you have, personally I find a UHC works well for me, and the highly recommended OIII darkens things down too much. That said some objects cannot be seen at all without a OIII. It's trial and error. I had my best ever view of NGC7000, the North American nebula at Kelling with a UHC and the 38mm Panaview.

What you can do before you keep taking the eyepiece in and out, is to just put the filter between the eyepiece and your eye, holding it in your fingers to get an idea of how it will perform before you put it in the scope.  Don't do this over hard ground (with, say your Baader Neodymium filter Doc....chough chough.) if you drop it, it could turn out an expensive night.

I have a 1.25 and 2 inch filter wheels fitted with planetary filters, if your focuser travel accepts it this is a convenient way of using them. Screwing them onto the diagonal is good then you can swap eps without having to change filters. However I still find myself just screwing the filter onto the eyepiece more often than not

If you really get into using filters, and get to know the range of filters you frequently like to use, whether it be for planets or deep sky, you can make easier use of them in a filter wheel or filter slider, assuming you have sufficient back focus. You need about 40 to 50mm of extra focus range to acommodate them. In my experience, most 8" scopes and larger can cope with the extra focus range.

I chose the 5 position 2" filter wheel because the filters are totally enclosed and less likely to dew up than with the more exposed slider and it holds more. The wheel is a bit heavier and more expensive than the slider though. My filter wheel contains OIII, UHC, Hbeta and LPR filters with the fifth opening left clear...

http://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-5-position-2-Filter-Wheel.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161461651871?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

filterwheel.jpg

filterslide.JPG

Thanks for that Pete.

I think i've seen a T2 compatible version somewhere too, which maybe is what i need.

Its not so much the back focus issue : i have plenty of that, but the weight of a diagonal, binoviewer and  eyepieces.

Might mention this to the Cloudy nights bino forum.....

But an enclosed filter wheel like that makes a lot of sense.