• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Standards of education

Tweedledee

I have Leigh, and the general story is that they just couldn't be bothered with school or any other form of learning in their formative years, and also didn't have any encouragement from parents. By the age of 17 they have finally realised that they have not done themselves any favours in life.

I have said to some of them that they are still at a life stage where they could turn their situation around, but they have little drive or inclination for it. A shame really!

That's a real shame. Makes me feel quite glad I have parents that encouraged me to learn. Edited by xanthic

I think most people I know generally could tell how long a metre is, but then again that's probably due to all the time spent jousting with metre sticks instead of doing experiments...

To be fair, never have people had more distractions in their lives or as much useless information thrown at them. It's not surprising that many don't seem to have picked up anything useful.

Have a look on youtube for the opening scenes of the film "Idiocracy". That might explain a few things :D

Also, don't forget that 50% of the population are below average intelligence ;)

what's the level of intelligence of the remaining 70% ?

Guest peepshow

It's not as if they don't have it easy - a meter and every multiple thereof is an absolute doddle - makes maths for everything way too easy.

Bring back yards, feet, inches, fathoms, chains, pound, shillings, pence, guineas, stones, lbs, ounces, acres, hectares .....etc, and make the little beggars work hard at learning like we all did lol :)

........and  half pennies and farthings, which being a small coin, had a small  bird on one side,

the British Wren. 

I daresay now the EU would have banned that.

I still work in feet and inches at home.  Kinda more accurate than centimetres. :D  

Well my wife does it in chains ,cables ,rods and perch so I can never fathom her out. :facepalm:

Has she been doing it furlong? :o

Has she been doing it furlong? :o

No but thou should know that she is ln a league of her own else I would be rood not saying and she would get hot under the gill and i dont want her to get fluid scruple.

Ok, just for you Richard :thumbsup:

Had that nasty fluid scruple in my gills, but thankfully I'm getting much stadia on my feet again now.

Guest peepshow

Ok, just for you Richard :thumbsup:

Had that nasty fluid scruple in my gills.

Gillian.  Did you ever metre? 

This word game will soon PETEr out.  :harhar:

These are just awful, I'm going to have to put a stop to this soon before we are known as a bad jokes forum :P

;)

These are just awful, I'm going to have to put a stop to this soon before we are known as a bad jokes forum :P

;)

wielding you power again Daz :nonono: :rofl:

Edited by Sheila

;)

It's a slow astronomy day Daz, just ban Richard for his encouragement :)