• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CCD for about £150 ish

I've got a big birthday next month (clue: I was born the same day as Bruce Willis) and wish to get a CCD to do solar system and short exposure (up to 30 seconds) deep sky. Obviously if I had a big budget I'd get 2 answers but I don't, unless you folks here wish to chip in.

I'd consider a zwo 120 camera, if you checkout their website they show some really good dso stuff and they are very good for lunar and planetary images, I little over you budget for a new one but you might get a second hand one for that price.

I'd consider a zwo 120 camera, if you checkout their website they show some really good dso stuff and they are very good for lunar and planetary images, I little over you budget for a new one but you might get a second hand one for that price.

Thanks, Rob I'll check it out

Just to note the ZWO is not a CCD but CMOS. You are unlikely to get even a second hand CCD for £150 tbh. Even CMOS you are going to be pushing it new to find anything Astronomy specific for £150.

The ZWO is very good but a word of caution regarding longer exposures, they are very noisy. That can be helped of course with darks but I tried 5 second exposures and there was more noise than signal. Very good for planetary definitely but I would say poor for DSO's from my experience with mine.

yes sorry i should have said it`s not a ccd chip but a cmos chip, you will not get a ccd chip for that price and size of chip, but i find the 120 to be a great little all round camera, it`ll do planetary, lunar and solar very well, it`s a good guide camera for when you step up to a dlsr or proper ccd chip camera, it also has a all sky lens on the front which gives a very wide field of view and can be used for watching meteor showers.

there`s lots of cameras out there to choose from but for a good cooled ccd chipped camera for proper deep sky imaging the prices are going to start from £600 upwards, may be lucky and get a atik 314 for around £600 ish.

i was just about to post that myself, very good starter camera  for £200 and a lot better than the 16ic which is about the same as the atik titan.