• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Best Garden session in along time.

tuckstar

Just thought I'd share last night's viewing with you all.

SHMBO was out last night so couldn't head off to a darksite because of the kids so set up in the back garden under the heavy light pollution of ilkeston. Wasn't expecting much but I was suprised.

Started of with Jupiter and had a play with the tuning rings on the hyperions checking I could get focus with the 5 and 4 mm. Which was a success. Then for a look at the orion nebula, splendid as ever, cranked up the mag on the trapezium and think I may of seen a 5th star but couldn't be definitely sure.

Then moved on to the clusters through Gemini and Auriga, M35, M36, M37, M38.

Then on to the beehive cluster and M67 in Cancer.

This is when the neighbours finally turned out there lights and I went Galaxy hunting.

The setting circle and wixey, in combination with skysafari and a 21mm eyepiece, were spot on and the objects were just falling into the eyepiece.

M94, M63, M106,M51, M81, M82, thought the setting circles had failed me on M101 but with a little bit of time and rocking the scope there was definitely a patch of something. Same techniques brought out M1 as well.

Couple more Globs M53 and M3 and the black eyed Galaxy M64, before a poke around in the Virgo cluster M58, M89, M85 then decided I need some darker skies as I was starting to get lost and had to use the settings to check what I was looking at, rather than using them to find objects.

So the point is I have never found as many objects in one night's observing, ever. Maybe under darker skies I would have spent a bit more time actually looking for detail. Some of the objects I saw I never thought I'd get from my garden and my setting circles work remarkably well when you have spent time playing with them.

Anyway that's my waffle for the day, just thought I'd share what a great unexpected night I had.

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 2

You clocked up some very good objects there Andy. When those setting circles and wixey are working well, it does make it so much easier to find stuff. A cracking read that was.

Glad you had such an exciting time Andy. :thumbsup:

It really is amazing what can be seen from home on good night. I love to read these visual reports :)