• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Berlebach Uni 28 Tripod mini review

philjay

Managed a couple of hours tonight during a break in the clouds to try the Berlebach Uni 28 tripod with the HEQ5 and Meade 127 EDT refractor.

I have always lusted after these tripods even before I got back into Astronomy back 99 so this was a treat for me when I bought a Uni 28 last week. Previously I had been using my own ash wood tripod which has the same stability and carrying capacity as the Uni 28, (thats what I based it on) but its always looked a little utilitarian and the Uni tripods are a work of art IMHO, but then I would say that because I am a little OCD when it comes to tripods.

Uni-28 specification from Berlebach website

Weight: 9 kg (19.8 lb)
Transportation length: 108 cm (43 inch)
Minimum height: 100 cm (39 inch)
Maximum height: 153 cm (60 inch)
Load capacity: 50 kg (110 lb)
Vibration damping: very good

Set up is dead easy, the graduations on the lower legs make getting the leg heights the same easy. 3 whacks and the tray is clipped in firmly then I noticed the built in spirit level was smack on level and I hadnt even tried levelling yet. Great stuff. The HEQ5 went on with no problems and then the Meade refractor on top of that.

After  mount calibration I was away and viewing. Set up was pretty quick with no dramas or strained backs or pulled muscles, just the way it should be.

Meade2.jpg

The night was slightly washed out due to a 1st quarter moon but there was enough darkness for  the brighter DSOs visually.  

Once cooled I moved on to lunar and Jupiter. Focusing set a little wobble, (Mainly in RA) on the scope but this soon recovered, this is not all down to the tripod as I have a little excess backlash in the RA on the mount which needs sorting but also the tripod is fitted with rubber feet as standard and these were adding to the wobble a little. Stainless steel spikes are available as an optional extra for the tripod and these would greatly increase stability, I shall knock some up on my lathe in the near future.

The combination of the height of the tripod and short spiral lead on the HEQ5 handset meant that the handset would not sit properly on the tray when not in use, no great problem but I prefer to have the handset supported. On my ash tripod I fixed velcro to the legs and back of the (HB) handbox so it could be stuck to any leg but I reckon I shall fit a hook to the HB so I can hang it on the Berlebach leg clamps and not have unsightly velcro stuck all over the place :-).

So altogether I am well pleased with the latest additions performance and as for its looks well it just makes the set up in my opinion.

Meade1.jpg

Nice Phil :)

Just a query, if you had a long image train on, would it not do the same as the problem I had and collide with the

tripod legs at certain times:

Sheila

Yep Im sure it would but I wont be doing much DSO imaging with this tripod, I shall be saving that for the obs CGE mount. Besides my image train is very short these days being OSC :D

Edited by philjay

Looks nice Phil ! Great report.

I got one of those..... :)  Well very similar. Mine is the Uni 18 which I think is the shorter one ?

I went for the 'leg spreader' option. I'm pleased with this as it keeps the tripod rigid, and stores / sets up easier. No chains either.

Also went for the floor spikes. Only a few pounds for the set. These came installed, and are a great addition. Ideal for the garden or at our observatory field.

They are sharp though....i found out they are hazardous to feet !   :angryface:

One problems come up though. The spikes are very tight in their threads.

I've removed them with the idea of changing over to the rubber feet to set up on our patio, but again the threads on the rubber feet were also mega tight.

I gave up trying to screw them in, worried i was going to do some damage to the female thread in the legs.....

Not sure what to do.

15053459526_37e1f420e6_n.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on Flickr

Ah you went for the stained version, very posh:-)

The spreader seems more convenient for set up I may sort something out in future. Sounds like a bit of copoerslip may help in the dpije threads. I took one out and it fought a bit, the threads in the keg are pretty rough I noticed, if I have probs I shall run a tap through tgem

• Like 1