• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Telescopic Legs on HEQ5 Tripod Will Not Move

gfletcher

Hi Guys

After selling my 10" Reflector OTA  i now use a de-forked Meade LX10 OTA.

Tried to extend the telescopic legs on my HEQ5 tripod to give more height to the mount but all 3 legs do not want to move.

They have probably been in their original position for 10 years,

Any suggestions on the best method of freeing them?

thanks

Graham

up end the tripod and squirt a bit of wd40 into the gap leave it a few days to penetrate and it may free it

also undo the clamp bolts and if you caxn remove the plug and squirt a bit down there

Try warming them up with a hair dryer on the hottest setting, this will cause the outer leg to expand faster than the inner and it might break the seize. I wouldn't try it with anything hotter as it might melt the plastic parts. Garnish with WD40, it will help it seep in.

Putting them in a vice,one by one, protected by soft wood / rags and only grip just enough to hold them steady while you turn them might work especially if you have used wd40 as above replies have suggested. 

A bit like car brakes if you don't use it for a long period - hence i use 1st gear not the hand brake (on level ground) when parked.