• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Inclinometer

Guest zidder

It's got to be better than nothing, and it looks accurate enough to get you in the ball park. 

Have a look at these, they stick on the OTA with magnets, and are accurate to 1/10th of a degree.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/digital-angle-gauge

If you are going to get one, get a Wixey, GemRed, or Bevelbox. I am not sure how accurate the cheaper imports are, others maybe able to comment.

Yes guys, I have lots of things on the list to get. Wixey , Telrad, Right angle finder scope and some type of setting circle, skint at the mo thou. hence the lash up 

Oh and an ironing chair :fool:

Edited by zidder

Tried it out last night, seemed to do the job quite well ? a couple of things I had been searching for had not previously found them, went almost straight there with this.

It is as expected not dead accurate, but was using in conjunction with Stellarium app and I am not convinced that is accurate either

Are you using the app on a phone. If so make sure you don't have a magnet on it. Even the smallest one makes a difference as I found out after cursing for a few nights. I have a flip case with the window on my Samsung and although there's no visible magnet I have to change cases when I go stargazing. Also double check location and time. I find stellarium a bit too busy on my phone although great on pc. I use skysafari 4 (the £2ish version) when out observing and find it much more user friendly.

Are you using the app on a phone. If so make sure you don't have a magnet on it. Even the smallest one makes a difference as I found out after cursing for a few nights. I have a flip case with the window on my Samsung and although there's no visible magnet I have to change cases when I go stargazing. Also double check location and time. I find stellarium a bit too busy on my phone although great on pc. I use skysafari 4 (the £2ish version) when out observing and find it much more user friendly.

I am using it on a tablet that is in flip case with a magnet. There you go, always an answer from you great guys on here. Thanks Andy

I am using it on a tablet that is in flip case with a magnet. There you go, always an answer from you great guys on here. Thanks Andy

Baz made me aware of this so all credit to him.