• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie here, confused about the setting circles.

Guest 8BiT

Hi there,

As the title mentioned I'm a total beginner. Been fascinated by space since I can remember but I never really did anything about it, until now :)

I've just recevied my first ever telescope today and after setting it up the best I could I noticed something that was bothering me. The scope I got is the Celestron Astromaster 90EQ. As you probably guessed by now, as a total newb, the mount is quite intimidating. I'm doing everything I can to learn how to use it properly but my issue is with something else.

The setting circles on my mount move. Now I've passed through the manual and noticed that the R.A. circle is supposed to move in the first place, so that's not an issue, I'll learn how to use that later. However the manual mentions that the declination circle is set from factory and I assume it shouldn't move, however it does and unfortunately I have no idea how it was set initially out of the box. My curiosity tends to get ahead of me and I moved it quite a few times now.

That said, can anyone guide me as to how I fix it? How can I make sure it's in the right position? If there is already a guide out there, I can handle getting thorugh the material myself, just need the right direction (link :) )

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Another thing I forgot to ask, this might be a silly question, but I'd rather be sure. There is a plastic film on the setting circles, the kind of film you see on new electronics. However it appears to be applied on pretty well. Is this film supposed to be removed (it's what I'm assuming) or is it meant to stay on the circles?

Hi welcome aboard. I wouldn't worry about the setting circles as I'm afraid they won't be that acurate. They should be adjustable. You just need to find a star you know and find the Coordinates and match the numbers. You will need to set you latitude which should be another set of markings where the mount meets tripod. Stellarium is free planetary software and will give you all the details you need. There's a few of us your way, I'm sure someone will help you out in person if need be.

You will also need to polar align. I'd do a search for that one. And the plastic does peel, no problem though.

Edited by tuckstar

Hi Alex and welcome to EMS :)

If you need a hand setting up and getting it going, you'd be welcome to pop round one evening for a quick session. Just can't do this week cos I've knackered my back and can barely stand up at the moment lol. Anyway - let me know if you're interested and I'll pm you contact details so we can chat and arrange it. :)

I would take Kim up on his very kind offer.

This reminds me of when I bought a Tal 100r, that had setting circles and they were rubbish and the worst part of it, they were not even engraved correctly, they were back to front. So what I'm trying to say is do not rely on them to much, on cheaper scopes they have never been to accurate.