• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My first Ha, 27,02,2015

philjay

After much fighting with PS and rending of hair and clothes :D

My first ever solar Halpha, so be gentle with me :D

Sun in Halpha 27/02/15 0930 hours

Scope Lunt 60 with B1200 blocking filter, camera QHY IMGOH mono

2 frames, 1 exposed for proms and one for disc, masked and merged in PS. Each frame 2500 frames stacked and waveletted in Registax

I actually took a load more shots for a full disc mosaic but that's it for the mo, one faltering step at a time eh :)  :)  :)

solha270215.jpg

If that's your first, then we must have some real treats to come! That is a great Solar image!

Steve

Ta folks Im very pleased with it

That looks fabulous :thumbsup:

Seeing that image warms me up on a cold day :)

Is the eyepiece view similar?

The eyepiece view is very red due to the filter/etalon Pete. Ive also boosted the contrast a bit to bring out the detail on the disc but generally at the eyepiece its all there

Now for a laugh. Today was supposed to be a rest day but couldn't keep away from messing, doing nowt does my head in. So tried mosaic full disc. You can see the joins but one has to start somewhere :D

Colour

fulldisccolour.jpg

Mono

fulldiscmonoa.jpg

Now to try adding the proms oooerrrr :blink:

You have got to be chuffed with that Phil. Blimey you have only just got going and you're turning out stuff like this.  :good3:

I try 2 methods for flats

1 without changing anything find centre of sun so there is no blank sky thin clear plastic bag over the front end and adjust the length of exp so it gives same histogram as your central image without the bag (if you get what I mean)

2 defocus wildly and use same settings

try both and see which works for you

Cheers Steve, didnt think of doing flats at the time, was just playing. I remember you mentioning the bag method I shall give both a try next time

• 3 weeks later...

Nice images Phil.

I'm keen on getting started on some solar Ha, had considered a Lunt 50 or 60 but now pretty certain I'm going for a Daystar Quark (chromosphere version) when the next shipment becomes available and use it on my Equinox 80 Pro.

Found this Ha image processing guide - no idea if it's any good but may prove helpful:   http://www.astro-nut.com/SolarPrimer.pdf

Al