• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Leo Triplet and field flattner test

Johnnyaardvark

Wanted to try and squeeze something in towards picture of the month and test my 2nd hand field flatner so thought I'd have a go at the Leo triplet

I will post a fully uncropped version at some point so I can get some thoughts feedback on the flat field but for aesthetics these are a little better as I was typically suffering from a local streetlamp especially after stretching the image...

Anyhow, Best 80% of below totalling 24 minutes integration time.

17 Lights (5x 140s and 12 x 90s)
9 Darks
23 Flats
16 Bias

My Nikon D5000

Skywatcher ED80 + 0.85x FF/FR  (Skywatcher I think)

HEQ5 Pro unguided

Stacked in DSS, Tweaked in CS2

Comments and feedback welcome and appreciated as ever.

Thanks

Steve

16667502812_cca2c1547c_h.jpgLeo Triplet by sja88, on Flickr

Cropped and rotated

16481113990_f0d334ecb8_h.jpgLeo Triplet by sja88, on Flickr

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

I like the widefield one, it shows the dust lane in NGC3628 just dandy.  Roll on a decent night and then you can really give it a trashing. 

• Like 1

Thanks Baz. Probably need much darker skies and guiding though really. Was only a rough edit. May give it another go at some point and see if I can improve the colour especially. Not got around to posting the full uncropped version. Will show the extent of my light pollution but would like some feedback on how well people think the flatner is working as it was 2nd hand.

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry, omitted Scope and camera info as I was in a rush when posting the other night. (updated above) it's still my Nikon D5000... unmodified as I guess most Nikons are!

Have been thinking about getting a modded canon  from cheap astrophotography with a wider ISO range but if I did would miss this one as I have taken so many holiday snaps and nightscapes with it. Have also looked at adapters so I could still use my Nikon lenses but controlling the aperture stop looks like it could be an issue on my lenses. I have 1 very nice 50mm that has not have any astro use yet. I digress...

S

p.s. Graham... notice I didn't dither! :) I bet your black areas are a lot less speckled than mine. I could have  a go at dithering but would have to do it manually at the mo.

S