• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Convert my EOS lens to a scope easy yes? But I need help

Guest knocker

Guest knocker

Hi All

I am trying to do this MOD but I need a part making for me or buy one if its out there the part I need is the 1.25 eyepiece holder adapter which you can see here in the  3rd picture down

http://www.samirkharusi.net/lensdiagonal.html

I have all the other bits  just need this last bit

Any ideas team?

Edited by knocker

Guest knocker

Hi Graham

I am using this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extension-Tube-Macro-Ring-Set-Nikon-Fit-/151607129036?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item234c7d33cc

To connect to an EOS lens the link shows one for Nikon I know but the thread will be the same ( I am only using the lens part not 1.2 or 3) so I next need a part making that looks like the picture in the link above that was posted by Pete (Thx Pete)

It needs to fit a 60 mm male thread and have a 1.25 lens fitting with locking screw does that make sense?

I have measured the thread with a rule and as far as I can tell its 60mm

My plan is if I need to extend for focus I can use parts 2 or 3 to increase the length

What do you think? 

Edited by knocker

Hope you post some reports when you get this done Neil.

I will be very interested in how it performs, and would like to try something similar.

Hi Graham

I am using this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extension-Tube-Macro-Ring-Set-Nikon-Fit-/151607129036?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item234c7d33cc

To connect to an EOS lens the link shows one for Nikon I know but the thread will be the same ( I am only using the lens part not 1.2 or 3) so I next need a part making that looks like the picture in the link above that was posted by Pete (Thx Pete)

It needs to fit a 60 mm male thread and have a 1.25 lens fitting with locking screw does that make sense?

I have measured the thread with a rule and as far as I can tell its 60mm

My plan is if I need to extend for focus I can use parts 2 or 3 to increase the length

What do you think? 

Hi Neil

I have that exact same kit sitting in a draw in the workshop.

My understanding is you want an adapter piece to go from the male 60mm thread to a holder for a 1.25 EP .

ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY ONE POUNDS ???????  :o  :o  :o

I need to put my prices up by at least 600%  :rofl:

Edited by Graham

Guest knocker

Its getting sorted ??(the price)

I will do Pete

I have some good EOS lenses that I don't want to just leave collecting dust

Guest knocker
Hi Neil

I have that exact same kit sitting in a draw in the workshop.

My understanding is you want an adapter piece to go from the male 60mm thread to a holder for a 1.25 EP .

Yes that's what I want can we get this done without costing the earth?

Yes that's what I want can we get this done without costing the earth?

Yes dont worry I look after the folks on here.

I will get one made up for you.  :)

Guest knocker

I think it is 58mm male so that would be 60mm female!!!! I get confused with this stuff. or are both ends refeared to by the same measurement?

365Astronomy do all sorts of astro adaptors - they're very reliable and it's well worth a look around their site.

http://www.365astronomy.com/ :)

So what you saying then Kim I am not ????

Over the past couple of years I have done literally dozens and dozens of small jobs like this for the folk on here even though it is my business with out a charge, just to help.

This was going to be another one but to hell with it.

Sorry Neil but statements like that after I had already offered to do it really pee me off.

Go to 365 or any of the other shops and pay £30 to £40 for it. Not that I think they will even have one.

That's it folks sorry but from now on all work I do will be at shop price.

Guest knocker

Graham understood no worries

I would just like to add this, I am 53 years old have an MBE and work in IT, I am quite capable of doing some research.

When I post stuff on a forum it is without question AFTER I have trawled every web site possible for the solution I am well aware 365 have adapters, and yes I have looked there all ready they do have a set of rings and extension but its £51 and I all ready have most of the kit just this small piece to Finnish off the puzzle.

Kim I must agree with Graham this was offered as a done deal, for you to then suggest I go else where was out of order, perhaps not intentionally

No worries Graham I have sourced an adapter from China which I may well be able to convert using my own workshop Thanks all the same.

Graham I'm sure Kim was just trying to help as he always does, he obviously didn't recognise the fact that it was done deal between yourself and Neil.

Can I also suggest that if it was a done deal then take it to PM's and stop posting in the general forum, otherwise it is encouraging further discussion and helpful advice

We all really appreciate what you do for this forum and that you have helped so many of us with little bits of metalwork.

Edited by Doc

As Mick says I was just trying to help - I really had no idea this was a nearly done deal - and I certainly had no intention of causing offence or diverting attention from your services Graham.

I simply responded to the OP's request with additional information after glossing over all the replies. And it is in the DIY and Self Mod section after all - not on a trader board.

I appreciate all the stuff you've done for the forum Graham - and I apologise if my post was misunderstood and caused any grievance. There honestly was no mallintent. :)

(I also notice Pete made an alternative suggestion too....)

Edited by Brantuk

Guest knocker

No worries Kim like I said I'm sure it was unintentional  ---   Lets all move on 

So did anyone watch Horizon tonight?  :wub:

Graham, your willingness to help with both your astronomical and engineering skills are always very much appreciated.

You have manufactured excellent gadgetry for my scopes and provided me with sound advice on various occasions in the last 3 years, thank you. I know you have done much more for other members.

My reply, #2 in this thread, was posted as I remembered a previous post I'd done on an almost identical and fairly unique idea. In hindsight, if I had considered the post a little more, I should have also suggested your excellent services. Please accept my apologies.