• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Red dot finder

Guest zidder

As per Andy above.

It is the cheapest red dot type finder going. It works, but there are other more expensive improved versions around. Baader Skysurfers are a good but expensive version apparently. The Telrad is a good buy and well tried and tested, everyone likes them.

terlrad always unless you cannot fit on scope, as with my Tak 106.  But bigger scopes, always a telrad :D

They are reasonable enough to get you somewhere near, but as an accurate sight the problem is you have nothing to line the dot up with. If you are slightly to one side, up, or down, there will always be a bit of angular error.

With a Telrad as it is projected onto the glass which you look through, this you have to get in line before you are able to see the rings that are shown, and is a lot more accurate because of that. Once you get a Telrad set up, you can usually go straight to the eyepiece without looking through the finder scope, unless you are after something really fiddly.

Guest zidder

Thanks folks,

Have you guys got shares in Telrad :lol:  sort of what I expected, will have to save my pocket money.

Buy the way have ordered a Wixey with level.

They make the world of difference to the standard finder. As above I haven't really used my finder since I got a telrad. Might be different when I get round to getting a raci finder, the straight through finder is a nightmare to use.

Guest zidder

Sounds like you have made your mind up but +1 for a Telrad.

Darren, No I haven't made my mind up, I am relying on you guy experience to sort the wheat from the chaff when it come to gear, so far you have all done me proud.

Yes, Definitely go with the Telrad.

With a 10" you have plenty of real estate for it. (Not so easy on a refractor as i've found out)

They are great value too at around £35. Risers, and dew shields are available too.

You just need to manage the dew issue on them. That little glass window is a magnet for it.

It's an acceptable, cheap and basic finder that fits all Skywatcher shoes. It's light and easy to use/adjust. But as above - there are better/more accurate ones - notably the Telrads which most folks use on dobs.  Also consider using a right angle correct image finder - I find them very useful on all my scopes.

My only problem with the rdf you're looking at was that it's too easy to forget to turn it off after a session leaving the battery to run down - but that's more to do with me than the finder itself lol :)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Is the red dot finder usually used along side a magnified finder as well or can these RDS sights be just as useful at range too?

Also, am I right in thinking the TS optics and Williams are the same thing, just branding?

Is the red dot finder usually used along side a magnified finder as well or can these RDS sights be just as useful at range too?

Also, am I right in thinking the TS optics and Williams are the same thing, just branding?

You could use it alone or with a magnified one.

If the TS and Williams look pretty similar, they probably were made side by side in the same factory. Just branding.

Red dot finders can obscure the target object cos you have to put the dot over it. This is no problem for some objects - but for others it's preferable to have a clear magnified view. Other times it's useful to have a clear unmagnified view (eg with a Telrad circle). It's horses for courses really. :)

The TS and WO rdf's do have strong similarities but can vary in the number and type of reticules. But there's really not a lot in it and they're both useful. :)

Just had a closer look and they seem to be the same but with different base fittings.

Yeah - that's typical of WO - they have their own screw hole spacings as well and I've never seen a standard fitting for any of their stuff.

You will find a lot of re-branded look alikes in all sorts of astro tackle, especially eyepieces.

You will find a lot of re-branded look alikes in all sorts of astro tackle, especially eyepieces.

I just had a further search and that red dot finder is basically a generic 4 reticle RDS that's used on a firearm. From what I can see, it's a mass produced product and the only thing that separates it being that a taller plinth type mount is added.

Maybe a few quids worth, adapted and farmed out to various optic companies. That said, I'm not saying it ain't any good though.

I've heard that because they are also used on firearms, the illuminated graticule used to be too bright for astronomical use, even on the dimmest setting. However, I gather that most of those now sold for astronomical use have been made dimmer and are fine for our use.

I've heard that because they are also used on firearms, the illuminated graticule used to be too bright for astronomical use, even on the dimmest setting. However, I gather that most of those now sold for astronomical use have been made dimmer and are fine for our use.

I was really sold on getting one, probably still will :P , just im not too sure of the build quality, and how solid a product this is for £60.

If I decide to get one, I will let you know of my findings.

Edited by M__