• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My 1st Lunar Image

Perkil8r

Rather pleased to be honest, a quick set up, 200p on EQ5 with 300d. Single exposure 1/400 ISO 200. Rotated and croped and a tiny tweek in Photoshop. Not quite in really sharp focus, but for a 1st attempt I'm happy.

Taken just now between the clouds, also tried with the barlow attatched too, seemed promising although the clouds were becoming a problem so gave up before getting anything worthwhile.

Edited by Perkil8r

Right, taken 15 really sharp focused raw files, tried in DSS but doesn't like them, says it can't stack them? Which program's best for this? Can't even open the CWR files without opening them in DSS :(

DSS is for deep sky objects, you want Registax6 or Autostekkart2.

Autostekkart2 doesn't seem to support CRW files? I've got 15 really good exposures, just can't do a thing with them :(

Had a quick play about with a single RAW in DSS and Photoshop, came up with this. ISO 100, exp 1/200

Right, here goes...... Downloaded Registrax v5, now need to figure how to use it, so after a quick go with a single image I get to the following. Again, single exp ISO 200 exp 1/250 I seem to think, can't remember exactly off hand, but know this was the 5th exp I took of 15. Cropped and tweeked in Registrax 5, not a lot though, just a bit of hue increased, that's just about all.

Think I might be getting somewhere now.

2 X subs 1/250 @ 200 ISO Stacked and processed in Registax 5

Good 1st shots there Mike your last version is pulling some detail in.

Its difficult to figure out the focus with a 300d as there is no live preview. When I had mine I just used to take a shot, view it and zoom in to make sure it was sharp, then adjust focus if required and repeat teh process. A little long winded but it pays off in the end.

Then once in focus take loads of images, teh more the better for stacking in registax.

Phil

I took one, zoomed as far in as posible, adjusted and so on. Then took 15 subs once focused. I've not used registax before, so after a number of attempts managed to stack just 2 out of the 15 due to the fact registax couldn't cope with the amount of movement between shots. I didn't us the RA drive so was just getting the moon something like (or so I thought) in the middle of the shot, only 2 were close enough lol.

Went out last night before I'd done this stack and took 35 subs using the same methods, I'm guessing I'll be better off if the weather is on my side, to start a fresh with a new set of subs tonight with RA Drive on so that they should be a bit closer. I really do need a remote shutter release though, it'll speed it up no end. Having to wait for the timer each time is the longest part of the process!

Just had a go at some from last night. 3 subs 1/250 @ 200 ISO stacked and tweeked with Registax 5 and further cropped etc with Photoshop. I didn't use the RA drive, so out of 34 subs I only managed to get 3 to stack. I used "centre of gravity" for aligning method as this is the only method that seems to work for me with the RA drive off. Aim to try again tonight but this time with RA drive on. It's certainly a learning curve!

"It's certainly a learning curve!"

You're certainly getting well on the way up it Mike - great pics :)

Thanks Kim, It's certainly making my head hurt lol. If these clouds stay away tonight I will have a go again. Is it me or would the pics be better if they were brighter? What other things should I change? (except more subs - that's coming!) I think I have the focusing sorted now. I do get pretty close on the first shot by getting close in the viewfinder then moving in until it goes just a bit out then back out until the same then try and judge the middle point. I then work from there by taking a snap, zoom right the way in, adjust and repeat. Eventually I plan on doing a series of pictures as good as I can get of each day of the Lunar cycle, I think that would be an interesting slideshow to see the way the Sun reflects back at the various angles to show different features. I've got a way to go before I do anything like that though!

What difference to the images would modding my camera make?