• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eclipse glasses

Guest Bluestar87

Guest Bluestar87

Hi

I have a very basic question. A lot of people at work are excited about seeing the partial solar eclipse on 20/03/15. I was hoping to buy some eclipse glasses to allow them to observe it safely. I've never bought them before and a quick search online reveals lots of different websites selling different makes. Can anyone recommend any particularly good ones? Are they all reputable? The worst scenario would be to buy a load that don't actually offer the protection they claim.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Before I give you a link to a reputable dealer selling reputable products, I really need to stress the importance of being really careful when viewing the sun.

The fact you have joined up and asked the question is fantastic and shows a level of common sense that some lack (we have all heard horror story's of people going blind) but I still need to make sure everybody reading this has the same level of skepticism and common sense as yourself!

So First Light Optics are very reputable astro company selling all manor of astro related products, many, many people on this and other forums have used them, I myself have purchased all my solar gear from them.

So here is the link......

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-solar-eclipse-observing-glasses.html

Bit of advice, if you go to an organized event, you may be able to pick some up for free but if you choose to buy your own, follow these simple steps before putting them on and looking at the sun.

1.  Be very careful taking them out of the packaging, one little tear and the sun light will ruin your eyes, so handle carefully.

2.  Prior to putting them on, hold them up to the sun and as carefully as you can, look through them to see if you can see any holes in the film (I do this by holding them at arms length and looking off axis at the sun).

3.  Do the above every time you intend to look at the sun, do not assume that because you have checked them once, they will always be fine.

4.  I always hold them to my head when looking at the sun using these, as all it takes is for them to slip a little and your blind.

5.  The glasses block out over 99% of the sun lights, so looking at anything other than the sun, you will see nothing, so do not think the are incorrect or broke, if you cant see anything else, then they are perfect.

6.  Have fun and enjoy!!

Fingers crossed for a good clear day and I hope you witness a wonderful event, it should be just over 80% eclipsed so should be a good sight.

Edited by Daz Type-R

First light seem to be struggling for solar glasses. I ordered some film and a pair of glasses, solar film turned up 2 days ago no problem but glasses are to follow!!!!!

For the last eclipse back in 1999, I made up a mirror projector. Covered a small mirror with black card with a circle about 25mm diameter cut in the middle to expose the mirror. Mounted it on a tripod and set it up outside the fire exit at the back of the office. Stuck a large sheet of paper onto the inside of the office front door, then lined the mirror up to project the image onto the sheet (which was about 5m from the mirror). Got a really nice and reasonable size image from that. The guys in the workshop were sat outside with their welding masks on!

Alan