• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Collimation issues AGAIN sorry

Guest zidder

Guest zidder

I have got myself a laser collimator and made a focuser cap.

My issue is, when I use the laser to align the primary I get the dot in the middle of the target perfect, then I come to tighten the primary locking screws ( only finger tight ) and the laser moves out of alignment, this happens every time, the only way I can keep it set right is to leave the locking screws undone, this is bugging me big time. Is this usual ?

It is quite normal for it to move a bit when tightening yes. How much out it is moving I don't know but I would suggest perhaps letting the locking screws off a little less when adjusting and remember that they don't need to be massively tight.

Are you sure it's not the mirror moving in it's cell.

Also a common problem is the actual springs are too weak, they make stronger springs to combat this.

I had this problem on my 16" dob and to stop it happening I replaced the springs with stronger ones and always started my collimation with the springs at least 75% compressed and then once collimated finger tighten the locking nuts, they don't need to be tight, just touching will do.

Edited by Doc

Guest zidder

Are you sure it's not the mirror moving in it's cell.

Also a common problem is the actual springs are too weak, they make stronger springs to combat this.

I had this problem on my 16" dob and to stop it happening I replaced the springs with stronger ones and always started my collimation with the springs at least 75% compressed and then once collimated finger tighten the locking nuts, they don't need to be tight, just touching will do.

Thanks Mick,

My problem is because I bought it second hand I don't know what is right or wrong with it, it is an older model (2008) so I don't know to what extent thing wear on these, I am contemplating stripping it down and starting from scratch replacing anything that is needed but need to understand the mechanics of more first

I only use my lock nuts when transporting it, other wise they stay loose. It saves any problems with moving the mirror like you said.