• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sorry guys another stupid question !

Guest zidder

Guest zidder

I have just bought a Wixey with level on it ( which is strange because wixey don't do one with a level on ) any way, I put it on the tube and levelled it up and set to zero, but the first thing I found was the wixey level bore no relation to two other levels I put on at the same time, I then noticed if you rotated the wixey horizontally a fraction the level moved off line, you could get it back on line buy lifting one end of the tube, so if by putting in it on in a different horizontal orientation relative to the tube how do you know if it is actually  giving the right level ?

If this is a DUUURRR moment give me a kick :facepalm:

Wixey do make a model with a level, I have one. I find mine fits nicely under the finder scope so it's at eye level. Once in the position you would be using it, level it and set it. Job on.

As long as it reads what Polaris is when you centre it on Polaris then you are good to go.

I made a little bracket that the wixey sits on and this bracket is adjustable to compensate for any level discrepencies.

You need to be aware that the level on the Wixey is an engineering grade one, and is much more accurate than the other levels. You might be lucky if the basic levels are to within one degree of accuracy.

By rotating the scope, you have just shown that the base isn't level.

To check if a spirit level is somewhere near accurate, place it level, then rotate it by 180 degrees. If the bubble doesn't show the same position, it's out. Put all the levels together on something flat, level them, and then rotate them and see if they all show the same movement afterwards. Rotate them back again and also see if they return to where they started from.

I would trust the Wixey, they are generally good to 1/10th of a degree.

Yup - I agree with Baz - I calibrate my Wixey at home first on a known level surface - then level the base in the field using the Wixey. Then any subsequent tube leveling with the Wixey should be a lot more accurate. :)

I have an ever more DURRR question. What is a Wixey and where can I get one from - assumming I can make use of it on my Fullerscope equatorial.

I have an ever more DURRR question. What is a Wixey and where can I get one from - assumming I can make use of it on my Fullerscope equatorial.

hi Derek, it wouldnt be much use for youe eq, wixeys are the domain for dob users or folks with altaz mounts.