• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51 from last night 07.03.2015

Graham

Last night was super clear so I decided to go back to an old favourite of mine.

Unfortunately dear old Mr Blobby did made his presence obvious later on washing things out a bit. 

GT 81

Canon 350 D

120 x 180 second subs. Dithered using BYE and PHD

5 Darks

11 Flats

Stacked in DSS

Processed in PS 6

Wide field.

M51.jpg

Cropped.

M51.cr.jpg

Not looking too bad Graham. Nice capture. A little heavy on the processing for me maybe? Not that it's one I have had a go at yet and it is a small target.  Hope to have a go soon. ;-)

The dithering seems to be working quite nicely. A little blotchiness here and there (only noticeable on the crop) but arguably much cleaner than the RGB colour noise/speckle that I usually get.

I will certainly try the dithering out at some point myself. Are you doing any batch RAW processing prior to stacking (As shown in the "tutorial" that was posted) or are you just stacking in DSS then processing after?

Thanks for sharing

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

must have been quite a challenge to process, nice capture and i like the widefield too :D

Thanks folks.

The crop version I did a load more processing on and your right Steve I went way too far with it.  :facepalm: