• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Refractor advice?

Seamaster

I bought a RACI finder for my Dob, and does it save my back. ( Suffer from a prolapsed disc, so it can go at any time.) Well worth the bit extra, and you won't ever sell it.

I bought a RACI finder for my Dob, and does it save my back. ( Suffer from a prolapsed disc, so it can go at any time.) Well worth the bit extra, and you won't ever sell it.

One reason I went for a 127 Mak and not an 8" Newt on an equatorial mount was my back.

Luckily I have no problems with my back, but a RACI finder of any size is a superb addition to a scope. It makes life so easy for finding objects, including those too faint to be seen in the finder. You can directly and easily compare the view with your star map.

I think I am leaning towards a SW ST102 with a couple of extras? (I already have a few decent eyepieces, planet filters, moon filter, solar filter and a filter to reduce the effects of light pollution)

1/ An RA finder (fully corrected type) probably the SW version as it's livery will match the scope.

2/ Either a Baader semi APO filter or a fringe killer (I am open to advice on which one for this scope will work best?)

I'd prefer it on an AZ4 mount but think that with those extras I will struggle to afford it so it may have to be an AZ3.

Will an AZ3 be up to the job with a ST102?

Neil.

Consider buying some or all of your kit secondhand to get it within your budget.

I did not like the AZ3 as per my previous comments. It should be up to the job, but the AZ4 does it better.

Edited by Tweedledee

Thanks, which filter (if any) would you recommend for the ST102, the Fringe killer or the semi-apo?

Also, I keep hearing about buying pre-owned equipment and accessories but I can never find any?

Fir example, an AZ4 mount? I've never seen a used one but perhaps I am not looking in the right places?

Any advice on where to find used equipment?

Thanks.

Hi Neil. I bought the fringe killer for my ST102. My thinking was that the light loss is less than with the semi apo. If it was a 120 I'd probably have gone for the semi apo because that could stand a bit of loss of brightness.

The fringe killer gives a yellow hue. I find I get used to this after a few minutes and then don't notice it. I've read that the semi apo gives more natural colour rendition.

You can remove the filter when searching for DSO's as the CA isn't an issue then anyway.

So would a Dielectric diagonal help with any light loss effects if using a semi-apo filter?

By the way, I have checked Ebay and both the supplied links but nothing I want on either I'm afraid.

A used AZ4 would be great, as well as a used semi-apo or fringe killer and a SW RA finder.

On fact a used ST102 would also be great!

Hi

I cannot offer any technical advice on telescopes or other stuff but what I can say is that I bought my Skywatcher Evostar 120mm refractor on a EQ5 non go to mount approximately 1 year ago having had only a pair of birdwatching binoculars and a book from the library, it took me a long while before I jumped in and ordered my telescope and a lot of research, the thing is, since I have had it it’s been a steep learning curve but the best thing is it’s been really great  fun to be out on a clear night just trying to find stuff and I like most people have a lot of light pollution from my back garden but with trial and error (a lot of error) I am getting to know bits of the sky slowly and I am still amazed by what I can see, my favourite at the moment is Jupiter, although when I find the Andromeda Galaxy it comes a close second, I haven’t got a great deal of accessories at the moment just the eyepieces that came with telescope plus I have bought a x2 Barlow and set of coloured filters  that I find really useful.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I do not regret in any way shape or form buying my telescope and whichever one you decide on I am sure you will get many hours of pleasure from it.

Regards

Rick

A used AZ4 would be great, as well as a used semi-apo or fringe killer and a SW RA finder.

On fact a used ST102 would also be great!

All the things listed are on for sale on ABS right now.

AZ4

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=95278

SW 102

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=95235

Thanks for the heads up, I have had the AZ4 which is now reserved for me!

The Evostar 102 is in Wales so a bit far to fetch.

Now all I need us a decent used scope to put on it!

And a dielectric diagonal, a fringe killer or semi-apo and a 9x50 90 degree corrected finder scope?

At the risk of high jacking my own thread.....

What are right angled erecting image finder scopes like to use?

I mean is it easier or harder to find stuff and align it with the main scope?

I've read a review that states it's a nightmare...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/199991-skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope-review/

My (possibly flawed) logic suggests that it would be great for looking for DSO's as they would be fainter and harder to find with no magnification via a red dot finder?

Please educate me?

Oh...and would say a Skywatcher brand (as per the review link) fit straight onto a Skywatcher ST102 in place of the supplied red dot finder or would I need some sort of bracket or shoe?

I think the white bit is a holder/shoe for the black finder and that's the bit that clips on in place of the red dot finder?

I'm not sure if the white shoe and the black finder itself come together when you buy one or if you need to purchase them separately?

Edited by Seamaster

The ST102 has a small dovetail cast into the white focuser base and this will accept most finders with a dovetail foot, including Sky watcher's own finders. 

The issue of aligning the scope refers to the fact that you are not looking along the tube so it makes it harder to know exactly which star you are looking at. I have found this to be quite a problem with the narrower FOV of the 120ED and found the best solution is to use a red dot to get me in the "ball park", then the RACI to give the magnified view. (My 120ED has 2 finder shoes).

Having said all that, the 102 gives a nice wide FOV with say a 32mm EP anyway and you'd most likely be able to find things ok with just the RDF. I generally find that if it's visible, I can find it. Once found, swap in a shorter EP for more mag. 

I have a prism diagonal in my 102 so the view matches photo's and charts. With a 32mm EP it's like a 15 x 102 finder scope!!

Same as me and the ED80, red-dot-RACI-Scope 30mm+Ep then 12 or 15mm Ep :)

Ron

This is a slightly edited email i sent a friend who has recently bought an ST 102.

102 report.

Last Tuesday evening I checked Cartes du Ciel for activity on Jupiter. At around 11pm there was a GRS transit. I put the 102 out to cool  and had a whisky while I waited. I set up the 102 on the Alt Az with an Orion Epic ED-2, 5.1mm EP giving 98x mag. I can report that the GRS was definitely visible, very small but very clear. Though Jupiter presented quite a small image at this mag it was pretty sharp. I was really impressed. I think it could be pushed even further with a top quality EP.

There are a couple of differences between my scope and the "as supplied" 102.

1. I have a Baader fringe killer filter installed.   http://www.firstlightoptics.com/achromat-semi-apo-filters/baader-fringe-killer-filter.html  and

2. I have a 90degree prism diagonal instead of a mirror. From what I've read, on a short focus refractor a prism is supposed to make the CA worse. I've never tested it against a mirror diag. ( I like the "right was up and round" image for lunar and finding stuff using charts).

The EP you looked through and liked because of it's reasonable mag and wide view was a Celestron Luminos 7mm (82degree FOV). Now only £99 from Tring Astro. 

So the dealer who told you that you wouldn't be able to see cloud belts on Jupiter is ill informed!  

Well it looks like I managed to grab a bargain.

Next Saturday, I am collecting an as new ST102 with newer black/white livery, on an AZ4 with a semi apo, a 90 degree star diagonal and 2 eyepieces (SW 5mm and 3.5mm) for £180 all in.

That leaves me with enough cash to buy a RA finder and a dielectric diagonal should I wish to.

Can't wait!

Neil.

• Like 2

You've done well there. I think you'll have some good times with that.

Do you have any longer focus EP's, say 25 or 32mm? I'd prioritize that over a RACI finder. 

As per Alan above, you should definitely have a range of eyepieces up to at least 25mm to get some wider field views.

You may find the 3.5mm ep doesn't get used very much.

Hi, I already have a Vixen NPL 40mm, Celestron X-Cell LX 7mm and X-Cell LX 12mm eyepieces, not sure if the scope will also have the typically included 10mm and 25mm eyepieces or if the seller is keeping hold of them?

I'd better check?

Also, with regard to a dielectric diagonal?

Does the ST102 have 1.25" fittings and does that mean I have to get a 1.25" dielectric diagonal (or do they always come to fit either 1.25 or 2" fittings?)

What if any are the advantages over a 2" dielectric over a 1.25" version?

Does a 2" version have to have 2" eyepieces or can you use 1.25" eyepieces on it....?

Confused!