• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

cleaning optics.

Graham

Calling all you chemists out there.

I have aquired a bottle of cleaning soloution from work.

It is the stuff we use to clean our glasses with.

It is iso something alcahol.

Will this damage the coatings on the optics.

I got it mainly to clean the chip on the 350 d.

Thanks

graham

ISO propyl alcohol I would guess or another name

is propan-2-ol

This is the stuff in use to clean my filters

And is ok for that. Cannot comment on

Dslr chips though. Never done that

Ibbo is best to ask on that one as he has

done them

Sheila

Check this is the exact name of the stuff you have

not sure about the stuff you use but i use the wonder fluid from baader, works very well and dries smear free.

I used a chip cleaner on mine, its like a sticky pad thing that doesn't leave residue but picks up dirt, I can't image isopropyl will damage it, its protected by glass right?

Thanks folks.

I will check on exact name when i get home.

No eddy no glass on my chip.

Yup exact name is essential. That was my best guess as to the commonest

one

Yep mine too but.........

ok  here it is.

Proper name is Isoproponal.

Hazardous ingredients: CAS NUMBER % EC NUMBER SYMBOL Isoproponal 67-63-0 <20% Surfactant Blend <5%

Product Name: Uvex Lens Cleaner 9992 (1009)

Recommended use: Cleaning optical lenses

It's likely to be Isopropanol, not isoproponal. Infact the CAS Chemical Abstracts Number confirms it is Isopropanol. Isopropanol is the same as isopropyl alcohol, an alcohol that is commonly found in the more expensive car de-icers ( cheaper ones and more volatile contain methanol and water). It is used to clean tape heads as well. The pure alcohol should be ok on glass optics. I'm not certain about on ccd chip glasses. I once cleaned a window of a ccd camera using absolute alcohol and teasted out lens tissue - rolled then torn then teased out and twirled then dipped in the alcohol, and very gently pulled over (not rubbed) the glass. This was to remove a spot stain that appeared on photomicrographic images. It did the trick.

I would be interested to know if that technique (and absolute alcohol = ethanol, or pure isopropanol) would be ok on dslr sensors - which I don't think they are covered with glass protection, though unsure. I'm really a novice on the digital equipment, but I am a chemist.

I note the hazardous ingredients of the Uvex. It is assummed the balance is water. Im surprised that the surfactants dont leave residues since they are normally soapy non volatille substances, but they may run off to the edges as a result of low surface tension - the principle of washing film negatives and slides. Isopropanol is ok for cleaning mirrors.

mine does not indicate anything put pure iso propyl alcohol, no blends of additives to leave on surface, 

not sure about that one really.  i cleaned only optics and filters with it

sheila

Thanks again folks.

I bit the bullet today and cleaned the front of the GT 81 as it was filthy mainly due I suspect to the number of coal fires around here and it has cleaned it a treat.

I also cleaned the sensor on the 350 but have yet to test that out.

I've cleaned the sensor on my Nikon dslr a couple of times, and an absolutely filthy sensor on an old Pentax, before giving it to my daughter, with the pads in Steve's link. They did a really good job. 

Edited by Werisit