• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astrozap Flexible Dew Shields.

Daz Type-R

Does anybody have any experiance with the above?

Do they stop / prevent dew from forming on the primary and secondary mirrors?

Do they help with stray LP entering the scope?

Just wondering if the £30 is a worth while purchase?

Keep up the good work on the new site!

Regards,

Daz.

When I bought my scope, the guy who had it before me had Araldited two ceramic resistors onto the back of the secondary mirror, this is controlled by a four channel heater controller. Since then I have added a small resistor under the glass of my Telrad as well.

There are also heater bands for the eyepiece, and finder scope.

I have never had a problem with dew using this lot but it takes some power, so the big batteries are useful.

Have a look in my Album, Iv'e uploaded some pics.

I made my own secondary heater from Nichrome wire connected to a dew controller so it can be adjusted.

The first example worked to well and it caught fire :D

But second one was perfect and kept the dew of really well.

The first example worked to well and it caught fire :D

LOL - at least it kept the dew off for a bit.

So are you guys suggesting NOT getting the astrozap dew shields and just invest in heaters?

I was thinking of doing both, the astrozap for dew prevention and LP reduction, then a 4 channel heater, one for the Telrad, one for the finder scope, one for the EP/focuser and one for the secondry mirror, or is that all overkill?

Hoping to get down the darksites with you guys sometimes in the future (if thats okay me tagging along) and just worried dew could ruin a good night.

Cheers,

Daz.

Below are few photo's of my old set up. As you can see the heater is made from a mousemat with nichrome inside and is wrapped around the secondary mirror. The wire goes along the top of the spider vane and plugs into the astrozap controller. I also had a telrad heater that pluged into it as well.

post-19-0-18039700-1405110078_thumb.jpg

wibble.docx

Here's a link to a home made Telrad dew shield, it works fairly well but will not totally keep it out, which is why I fitted the heater.

http://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/downbino/HomeBuiltAstronomy-TelradDewShield.html

I have a pattern if anyone wants it, I made mine out of neoprene purchased from Hobbycraft. I used small bits of sticky backed Velcro to attach it to the Telrad.

Cheers Martyn but I have just finished making that and is on the Telrad now. Got my stuff from Hobbycraft today, cost £3.40 and took about 40 minutes, looks ok, just hope it will do until I get the heater etc.

Tried to upload some pics of it but seen you have a 1.0mb upload limit, my photos are 3.0 mb upwards so won't work.

Will sort it when I have more time.

Cheers,

Daz.

Im a fan of the home made stuff anything you can make saves money for other stuff you cannot make I went up to Direct plastics a few months ago and there was a industrial unit being emptied into a skip I looked in as I always do (its amazing what some people throw away) anyway in this skip there was a roll of neoprene about 1/2" thick by about 24" wide and was well over 30' of the stuff. plus some heavy duty bags that i used to cover my scope with at Kelling.

I made a dew shield for my C8 and I also built a proper carry case for the same C8 out of it I made it duel thickness and 4 thickness's at the ends It fastened via Velcro straps and looked the part I fixed it all together with proper neoprene glue from a Dive shop. And I still have loads left Plus iv used if to make other stuff as well like a netbook case and table protector .

• 2 weeks later...

Craig, not sure if you are still after one of these, I have just mailed FLO asking about fitment of the astrozap dew shield onto my 200P, thinking that an 8" one would fit any 8" ota and Martin at FLO asked if I could mesure the outside diameter of the scope and they will see if they have one in stock that would fit.

Just a bit of a heads up so you just don't go and order one thinking it will fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Craig, not sure if you are still after one of these, I have just mailed FLO asking about fitment of the astrozap dew shield onto my 200P, thinking that an 8" one would fit any 8" ota and Martin at FLO asked if I could mesure the outside diameter of the scope and they will see if they have one in stock that would fit.

Just a bit of a heads up so you just don't go and order one thinking it will fit.

Daz,

Did you get an answer on this? I'm still looking to possibly get one. Did the measurements measure up?

Not quite, the outside diameter of the OTA is bigger than 8 inch, so Martin at FLO measured the ones they have and told me what to order, he says it will be slightly bigger than my OTA but with it being a velcro fastner it should not be an issue.

He also asked that when I get it, can I open the packaging carefully and if I am not happy return it for a full refund.

Waiting for payday (23rd of this month) then it is being ordered.

Actually, thinking about it, may order it now so I don't have an issue ordering in 2 weeks after the Brian Cox affect ;)

Guest Kheldar

Actually, thinking about it, may order it now so I don't have an issue ordering in 2 weeks after the Brian Cox affect ;)

Good thinking :D

I have the Astrozap fexi heated dew shield for my CPC and it works very well, the dew/humidity is a big problem out on Crete. I bought it from FLO.