• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help

Guest Steveohim

Guest Steveohim

Ok astronomy definitely isn't for me, I managed to find the moon but couldn't keep the scope from moving, next I tried to point it at Jupiter but I had no chance of getting that in the eye piece, I really don't know how you people do it

I don't think you have your scope set up correctly. If it was set up right you should be able to easily get objects in view and keep them there and have a great time observing.

You need to meet up with someone who knows what they are doing. They will soon put you right and have the scope working fine and giving some good views. As with any new hobby, it is going to have a learning curve.

Martyns post here has a link to the people you need to talk to in your area...

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/9752-help/#entry107560

Don't give up Steve.

Sorry Steve, just have a look at post #20 in this thread. Martyn posted a link to the Cotswolds Astronomical Society.

Easiest to do it in daylight on a distant chimney or TV aerial. Find it in the main scope first, then twiddle the thumb screws on the finder so the dot is on the same thing as the scope is showing. You may have to adjust it a bit once you're out in the dark but it will be fairly close.

Guest Steveohim

Ok I'm trying that and I'm focused on an Ariel and everything seems fine but should do I connect eyepieces to the 20mm erecting eyepiece, as I want it to always be the right way up when I'm looking at things?

I'd recommend that you only use the erecting eyepiece for terrestrial use. The erecting lenses tend to cut off a substantial amount of light causing the image to dim as if you were using a smaller aperture telescope. The orientation of the image does not matter for astronomical purposes, and especially in a newtonian on an eq mount the image will still change its orientation when pointing at different places in the sky even with the erecting eyepiece in place. For terrestrial use any dimming will not really be noticed since in daytime there will be ample light around anyway. You can always purchase better quality astronomical eyepieces that will provide a better view.

I took a half decent photo of the eclipse just by holding my phone carefully at the eyepiece. I also took numerous others that were not in focus or did not properly frame the view. Phones can only be expected to take images of bright objects, but to make it easier there are special brackets that will hold the phone in place at the eyepiece. If you Google iphone telescope adapter or digiscoping adapter you will find various options.

Ok I'm trying that and I'm focused on an Ariel and everything seems fine but should do I connect eyepieces to the 20mm erecting eyepiece, as I want it to always be the right way up when I'm looking at things?

You can only use one of your eye pieces at a time. As Pete says above, it's best not to use the erecting eye piece for astro.