• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY shroud

wobby83

Hello everyone , are there any posts on makeing a shroud on here? Pref for my skywatcher heratage 130p flex? Also any pics of any planets ect through this type of scope as mines not arrived yet ðŸ‘

I've not seen any posts,but trawl through the DIY/mods section and see what you can see.

Regarding pics of planets you should be cautious as often in astronomy what the camera sees and therefore captures in a picture is far more detailed than what the human eye is able to see. When I first started I fell into the trap of looking at pictures and getting exited about looking at them through my scope when it arrived, only to be a tiny bit disappointed.

The perfect example would be the Orion nebula. In all the pictures you see it is beautiful colours yet in real time,through the eyepiece it appears as only blue.

Don't get me wrong I think the orion nebula is still amazing to observe (as are the planets and many other objects) I am just letting you know that what is seen in pictures in astronomy is often not what we see through the eyepiece with our eyes.

I must second what Felix has said above, cameras pull in loads more light than our eyes can, so when you see the pictures, they look nothing like what we see with our eyes. M42 for me with my scope, I can see some blue, lots of grey but no red and nothing like what the pictures make out. But just remember this, you yourself is looking at something that has taken hundreds if not thousands or millions of years to get to you, for me, that is pretty amazing.

Sorry, forgot to mention about your DIY shroud. Best thing to use is some black camping mats and some black masking tape. Might be a bit of trial and error, but just get your camping mat, wrap it around your tube and then cut or add some more until it spans the gap between your tube. There may be a better way im not sure, I don't have a flexi tube.

Just measure the circumference of your tube and the length, then buy some material thats matt black inside and some velcro, and stick where it's needed.

I think Decathlon do a black fitness mat that a few of the members have used, at around three quid it's not a bad price either.