• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is the forum a little slow?

Rusty Strings

Hi Chaps and maybe Craig specifically,

I'm finding the forum takes a fair while to load any pages. I'm having the same issue at work so it would appear not to be my nome internet connection.

What time this morning did you write this ? ha ha

(Slow here too John!)

Yup - painfully slow today - hopefully Craig will notice and pop a bit of oil in the works :)

:lol: it seems fine to me, and as craig says...shared hosting, so unless we all chucked some more money together you have to put up with these things when theres heavy traffic

Anything we can do about it Craig?

Nope, not really.

We're on a shared hosting service (which as Eddy says, is a cost saver) which means other sites on the same server can impact us if they become busy or run poorly scripted software. To isolate us from them, we'd have to consider a different host running CloudLinux (I know of a good host, but I have never tested CloudLinux), move to a VPS (this comes at a cost) or a dedicated server (very costly, not worth it for our needs).

I'll put some info in the admin area for you and Noel to review, and see what you think.

The odd temporary slow down now and again is tollerable I reckon - we'd only need to consider upgrading if we had a lot more users and a lot more activity imho :)

I've pinged off a support request to the host to get them to check it, but we've no guarantees of any improvement just because it's shared hosting.

I'll rack my brains about the hosting situation, as I've got a fair few companies I've used in the past. Cost will always be the limiting factor though.