• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Binocular recommendations

parklife2uk

Hi,

Just looking at purchasing my first set of Binoculars and wondered what you'd all recommend on a budget of about £75?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

It depends what you want from the Bino's. I say that as different sizes bring different things to the table. With something like 7 or 10X50's you can scan the sky, locate scope objects and just spend time enjoying the wide field view. But something like 15X70's enable you to really start looking for specific objects, that are beyond what the smaller and lighter bino's will show you.

The difference in choice is also weight. You can hold the larger bin's by hand for a short while, but these start to wobble after your arms give out, so a sturdy tripod is also going to be needed. That, or a clean upturned yard brush on which you can rest your elbows comfortably.

The 15X70's will show you galaxies, the moons of Jupiter and loads of star clusters. I have a pair of Revelation 15X70's and some 8X40's for scope spotting. M44 through the 15X70's is just stunning.

• Like 1

I'd recommend 10x50s for wide field (6 or 7 degrees) or 15x70s for a deeper view (4 degrees). The Celestrons are great value for money. I got my 15x70s for just £50 new, and they show a lot of DSOs and other stuff. The 15x70s are best with a tripod, but I often manage without by propping myself firmly against wall.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the Celestron 15 x 70 and at £60 they seem quite reasonable.

I would like to view Jupiter's moons again and other DSO's so the 15 x 70 seem to be the right choice.

Might have to look at a new tripod too..

• 2 weeks later...

Binoculars and monopod have arrived!

Spent a half an hour looking around last night before the cloud rolled in and managed to get a good view of Jupiter.

Just need to upgrade the bracket..