• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st Telescope

Guest steadygazer

Guest steadygazer

Hi everyone

Long time listener, first time caller.

Hoping you guys can give me some advice on purchasing my first telescope.

I, along with my Dad have been using his Skywatcher 130 dob for a while and getting some nice views of the moon, juipter and a few DSO. It has been fun and still learning my way around the night sky.

I am now looking at purchasing my own scope with viewing in mind initially and I would also like to have a go at astro-photography.

I have narrowed down my choice (i think) to a skywatcher 200P or a 200PDS. Is the PDS worth the extra money or would a 200P be better then upgrade the focuser separately??

I am thinking of getting either scope with the standard EQ5 mount and then upgrading to a tracking / goto system as and when I get into the photography side. Or would I be better future proofing myself and getting a HEQ5 or an EQ6?? I have read a good few blogs and articles where people have done some fantastic work with just the 200P on an upgraded EQ5 mount.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hi Andy.

I'm not an imager bust just wanted to point a few things out that you may / may not have considered. The Skywatcher 200P / PDS generally come in 2 flavours, the 200P is normally on a dobsonion mount and has a focal ratio of F6 (1200mm / 200mm = 6) where as the 200PDS usually comes on an equatorial mount and has a different focal ratio (F5) due to it being 200mm shorter (1000mm / 200mm = 5). For visual, you will not notice any difference.

For AP, then a 200P (F6) will be heavier, so ideally you will want a better mount, the rule for AP is, get the best mount you can afford, then get the scope. A good scope on a poor mount is worse than a ok ish scope on a decent mount. I'm not 100% sure if a HEQ5 of NEQ5 will be up rob the job of a F6 200P, it might, I'm just not sure.

That's why the 200PDS was created, still a 8" scope but with a shorter tube on an EQ mount, the faster focal ratio was preferable for DSO imaging.

The other thing you need to consider, what eventually do you want to image? For DSO's ideally you want a very good EQ mount, with a fast (F5 and below) scope, where as for planets, you want a slow scope, ideally F10 upwards.

Like I said above, visually, none if this really matters, as you just won't be able to tell the difference, so either a 200P or PDS on a EQ mount will be fine, your going to have to give extra thought what you do get for the AP side.

Personally I would get a really good mount (NEQ6 upwards) if you could afford it then look at what scope you would like.

Hope this helps?

The pds is designed to image with. The most important thing is your mount if imagining is the route you wish to go down. Get the best you can afford. You can always upgrade your ota.

Imager here,

if you can, go for the 6 without a doubt, the HEQ5 is good but the 6 is better.  The EQ5 i would not recommend

for imaging unless you cannot possibly afford either of the others.  It is possible but more difficult.

Mount always comes first :)

As for the 200 would echo what Daz said, but would point out the a nice small refractor may be better for you starting out imaging,

but the 200 will do the job :)  Always pick the best mount first, then the scope and then have very deep pockets for the imaging

kit as imaging has a habit of running away with you :rofl:

Sheila

Guest steadygazer

Thanks for the early replies - I still plan on observing for a bit while I get used to an equatorial mount but I have been thinking why bother with an EQ5 if I plan to upgrade later anyway and may go straight for an EQ6.

As for the scope from reading and what people say I like the sound of the 200PDS, but happy to look at other options. As I am quite happy observing at the moment I would rather get something I can get good visuals with while learning a bit of imaging without getting in to deep (for the time being).

I am hoping to get to an ELAC and/or North Lincs Astronomical society meeting this month to talk to a few people and maybe have a look through some different scopes - which could just put me back to sqaure one and rethinking the whole thing.

Good idea to have a look and play with some kit. There's so much to choose from that reviews just don't give you enough info. What works for one person doesn't for another.

I guess it depends on what you want to photograph and how big your budget is. I have a small budget, probably one of the smallest of the regulars. I don't own any 'scope that costs more than £500 and no camera that costs more than £130 (but that's about to change).

The most expensive type of astrophotography is long exposure deep sky. Not only do you need a GREAT mount but you also need cloudless skies and little or no light pollution. Most nights you will not be going out, unless you live outside of the UK.

The Sun, Moon and planets and many of the brighter deep sky objects can be photographed in less than perfect conditions. Constellations can even be photographed using cheap compact digital cameras, although DSLRs are much better.

I don't think anything you buy will ever be future proof. As new kit comes out, it will give you better results and you will look at your photographs from 2/3 years ago and cringe.

Using myself purely as an example, here is what I can do with a low budget:

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/PhillipPugh/library/?sort=4&page=1

I do a lot of solar images, as it is my main interest and I also do the Moon, constellations, some DSOs and double stars. I do not aim for faint objects, as I am limited by where I live as well as budget. Not that I'm ultra-competitive but I know that people with more kit, clearer skies and more experience can do a far better job than I can even dream about. However,  I experiment a lot and have developed my own niches. Also, the things I do keep me well occupied.

As well as cheap kit, I never use any imaging software that I have to pay for. You can download tools from here:

http://www.philippughastronomer.com/Downloads.html

This may give you more questions than answers but it's food for thought.

Hi Andy welcome to Ems and the fascinating (and sometimes frustrating, clouds) hobby/science of Astronomy.

I think folks have covered scope choice/comparisons but as mentioned above, try before you buy is the best way. A scope is a big commitment both financially and size wise so you cant beat getting along to a meet and seeing the scopes in the flesh and actually looking through them.