• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ZAO II orthoscopics

Doc

You don't hear much about these eyepieces, but their reputation is for high definition, high contrast and light throughput making them among the very best for planetary work and seeing fine detail in faint galaxies.

I think that the only downsides are a narrow 45 degree FOV and limited eye relief which will not suit anyone who uses glasses at the eyepiece.

Apparently there are not many of these sets around and Zeiss won't be making any more. These have been kept virtually as new. I'm sure somebody will be willing to pay quite a few hundred pounds for that box.

Definitely top class eyepieces :)

That is a seriously nice set of eyepieces. However once you've tasted 100 and even 110 degree FOV eyepieces anything else just leaves you wanting more [emoji4]

That is a seriously nice set of eyepieces. However once you've tasted 100 and even 110 degree FOV eyepieces anything else just leaves you wanting more [emoji4]

I love wide apparent FOV eyepieces to the point that I have paid an awful lot of money to enjoy that experience to the max. I can also appreciate that these superb orthos have a place, mainly for observers concerned with seeing the finest possible detail and clarity, whilst concentrating totally on the central object without unwanted distractions from a wider field.

For me, it would be great to have a session looking through such classic eyepieces as these orthos, however, I think I'd soon lose interest trying to squint through the minute eye lenses of the 6mm and 4mm, and then putting up with the comparatively straw-like 45 degree apparent field. The 4mm looks to have about a 3mm diameter eye lens, but of course, some would argue that less is more. My eyepieces listed below have eye lenses with diameters of 34mm, 35mm and 29mm respectively, and I find them easy and relaxing to look through, but not everybody does. Ultra wide angle eyepieces do give a real "Spacewalk experience" and make me feel that I'm out there in space, because the telescope just gets out of the way. This is just what I want from my visual astronomy. Indeed you sometimes have to look around a bit to find the field edge, and there is just so much to more to see, and the quality ain't bad :P

I certainly wouldn't swap my 3 eps for the boxed set of ZAO II's. But somebody will max out a credit card for them and may even sell at a profit in a few years.

Mick says he's spent up, but I bet he's looking around for a nice 0% deal :D .

Edited by Tweedledee

They would be lovely in the old telementor, but a bit steep for me I'm afraid, even with 0%.

If I hadn't already bought the Swarovski bins then I would have paid £1500 for them. I think off them as an investment, I can remember when they originally came out and IIRC they were £799 for the box set. As Pete said keep them another 10 years and I bet they would be worth £2500. Only problem is I would be scared to use them, I would use them a couple of times then lock them away.

I'm with you all the way Pete. I nearly always used my ethos 13mm exclusively when not doing planetary imaging. I too love the way that the scope just gets outta the way and allows a relaxing visual experience. Next load of agency shifts will be to save enough for starting back down the "green brick road" [emoji4]

Zeiss is nice but at that price, hmmm. These Abbe design orthos are superb Im told, never been lucky enough to look through any, but they are an aquired taste. These are really planetary eyepieces and like the circle t orthos need some getting used to. The fov is not expansive, you dont need wide vistas for planets. Not sure about the eye relief but its probablyshort like other orthos so if your used to wde angle comfy eyerelief these will be a culture shock at the shorter focal lengths.

The Brandon eyepieces are the ones Ive lusted after for years, if I get the right numbers this weekend I may think about a set :-)

Phil have you got a link to the Brandon eyepieces, I've heard they are very good indeed also the TMB Supermonocentrics but they are big bucks.

I understand what you guys are saying, but surely this is almost pointless. Yes, without doubt they are the pinnacle of high end eyepieces, but if they don't get used, then what is the point. They probably will go to someone who will buy them maybe for their rarity, but also with an eye to making a bob or two. This is just collecting.

That and as Pete says, although the view through them is faultless, the draw backs are also just as off putting for actually using them. I have a 6mm TMB (clone!) and that is just about acceptable for my eyes. Trying to squint through a pinhole doesn't appeal any more, and I am happy with cheaper eyepieces which work OKish. 

It's just another side of astronomy Baz, loads of people collect, be it from stamps to space rocks. I would love to have a huge collection of rare eyepieces, I would use them as and when but keep them immaculate, think of it as an investment.

Edited by Doc

I can see the appeal of collecting and owning such gems, if you have the spare cash.

Years ago I fancied getting a 30mm 88 degree Leitz but they are rare and come up secondhand now and then for over a thousand pounds. I read somewhere a long time ago about someone fitting the big Leitz as a gear knob on his Bentley :rolleyes:

A Rodenstock Giant would also be nice to have and usually a bit cheaper. But let's face it, modern eyepieces Televues etc. can be even better corrected than these and slightly cheaper new.

Mick the widescreen centre have Brandons here http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/BOXED_SET_OF_SIX_-_1_25_.html

They are nice, would complement my refractors nicely, one day eh :-)

Baz, I totally agree but the collecting genes take over from reason sometimes, thats why I have alot of brass things, dont need them, my modern scopes can do just as much if not better sometimes but sometimes one cant resist :-) :-)

Oh and the 48mm 2" looks tasty :-)

Edited by philjay

• 3 months later...

It's a collectors item, I bet most of the ZAO's around are never used and stay in the box, that way they will always command high prices.

Just imagine dropping one of them  :(  :facepalm2: