• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is EMS slowly dying ?

Graham

I don't post every image I do on here. I just post links to my blog each month. Most cloudy days I reprocess an older image. At the moment, I'm revisiting older solar hydrogen alpha shots. If I posted stuff daily, people would just yawn.

As for it being a "bad winter", I've just had a look at my January blog post and, yes, there are a lot of reprocesses, but also a lot of "live" views and shots. I usually manage something most days, even if it is checking for sunspots with my binoculars.

Here's my entry: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015_01_01_archive.html

I'm certainly neither the best equipped nor most skilful astronomer on here by a long way but t have found that only complete cloud cover prevents us from seeing at least something. Some of my lunar photos have been taken in conditions where not even Jupiter has been visible.

I certainly hope EMS isn't starting to fade away.

Although I'm also registered on a couple of other astro forums, EMS is the first forum I open up and read.

Others I don't often post on (earning the tag of 'champion lurker' on the Shed!).  

EMS is smaller than the others but members are also closer and it's easier to keep up on the conversations.

I don't often use the shout box, but that's usually because I'm generally online weekday daytimes when it tends to be quieter.

As for the various meets.  I work every weekend (having Mon/Tue off) so that sometimes limits when I can get out and it also means I don't do the camping/caravan 3-4 day meets.

Hopefully EMS will get a much needed boost in activity, it's good having contact with astro minded folk in my local area and I'm hoping to get a chance to actually meet up with a few more of you and that's something I can do by giving my self a kick up the backside and get out to some of the events.

So to echo some earlier statements ..... must do better & long live EMS

Al

• Like 2

Though I don't contribute that often, I do find it reassuring to know that EMS is out there for when inspiration is needed.

• 2 months later...

I hope it isn't as I have just joined here :)

I'm actually a moderator on a motorcycle forum, the forum was put together by a few enthusiast when our previous forum got sold off by the owner to a big company, this destroyed the community!

Anyways, we get around 20 regular posters daily, which ain't bad considering the saturation of 'bike forums' about.

It's regular new threads that is needed, however trivial they may be. Let's be honest, most things have been done to death in this internet age.

I like the local community feel here, that is a good selling point.

I think it's good that EMS have loan scopes on offer, but I didn't know of this until I became a 'dark site member' . This is a good way to promote the forum I feel.

Edited by M__

I think it's good that EMS have loan scopes on offer, but I didn't know of this until I became a 'dark site member' . This is a good way to promote the forum I feel.

For any other newbie that might be reading this, there is a thread in the beginners section with regards to the EMS loan scopes......

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/1473-ems-loan-scope/page-1

Is it worth actively promoting the forum by means of an invitation to a local meet, where people get to try out the loan scopes, or is this something that is already active?

The bike forum that I'm a moderator on had hoodies made to promote the forum, we also had the idea of business cards to hand out at bike meets at Matlock etc. Granted it is somewhat easy to strike up conversation with a biker, very tough to spot stargazers in daytime haha

Astronomy is very niche and I would imagine there is a much bigger market for bikers.

Astronomy is very niche and I would imagine there is a much bigger market for bikers.

I think some similarities, for example the forum is very similar to this is relation to members and activity, just like here we get our regular posters. I think a big problem is that new members sign up, then are never to be seen again after just a handful of posts.

I agree we have 1077 members and I bet we only have 30 regular members who post weekly.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree we have 1077 members and I bet we only have 30 regular members who post weekly.

I've stopped posting as people tended to ignore me after a while :lol:

I've stopped posting as people tended to ignore me after a while :lol:

How could we ever ignore you  ;)

Must admit Martin is a mega poster can't keep up with his threads "Good on you" keep it up, I keep adding flippant funny " :facepalm: " comments where i can I know that this hobby can be serious but hey a little bit of light banter helps past the cloudy nights  :D

Edited by Allan the Plumber

Must admit Martin is a mega poster can't keep up with his threads "Good on you" keep it up, I keep adding flippant funny " :facepalm: " comments where i can I know that this hobby can be serious but hey a little bit of light banter helps past the cloudy nights  :D

I'm in rage mode today lol, my vintage C8 was made at a time when tolerances meant nothing and the most random of thread sizes were used!

I'm super serious, thought about buying a celestron cap as I'm that serious lol

I'm super serious too. I'm in 3 minds whether to get a Televue, Baader or ES cap! :)

I'm new age, 'motorcycles meets telescopes' lol

Exhaust pipe for your junkyard telescope tube then?

I'm actually a 2 stroke fan, them pipes will not be suitable :)

Plenty of carbon but no fibre!

Plenty of carbon but no fibre!

2 stroke is pure beast mode, nothing beats the throttle response. I've had a fair few bikes now and always go back to a well set-up 2 stroke mx bike.

My last one CR 250, was pushing 60bhp and only weighed 99 kg with a full tank of gas! It was only geared for 71mph as it was made for close circuit competition but yeah what a beast.

It had a load of carbon fibre too ;)