• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My bins are simply breath taking.

After my relatives had departed last night I went out and laid back on the sun lounger and had a look across the heavens using my new Swarovski 10x50 EL bins.

I giggle to myself every time I use these bins and while I'm writing this I have a huge smile across my face. They were utterly awesome in every way possible. 

I scanned the area between Cassiopeia and Perseus and the amount of stars, and clusters the bins picked out was astonishing, I would love to get these under real dark skies.  The double cluster and the ET cluster knocked my socks off. I couldn't believe the colours the bins picked out, in my Hawke bins almost all stars were white, in these bins it was like looking through a proper refractor, I could see blues, reds, and i think even a green looking star at one stage.

The only downside to these is they got a little heavy after a while, a parallelogram would be the way to go.

They were expensive but worth it.

• Like 2

They really do sound wonderful Mick. Glad you had a good night :thumbsup:

For the price, you could have had a good pair of image stabilised ones. I dare say with IS, you would not have had the pin sharp star clarity and colours you mention, since the money would have gone into the stabilising technology not the optics.

You cant beat top optics can you, nice one Mick. The difference is remarkable when going from average to top optics, the natursl colour can come through

You are obviously having a ball with the new bins Mick. I hope the 'chuckling whilst viewing' thing is not causing too much shake! 😀

I see you have gone for the new EL 10x50mm version, I have looked at the spec for these and can see how great they must be. I would love some of these babies! They have now gone on my wish list with the ethos ep's, explore scientific ep's, 14" dob and villa in Spain ☺ï¸...someday....!

Meanwhile, it would be really good to hear more about your future exploits with them. Especially at dark sites etc.

Finally, (I can waffle on a bit☺ï¸), Good on you for taking the plunge with these and sharing the fun and exhilaration of using them, it's very inspiring stuff to me. I love reading about all the members hardware, mods and experiences from everyone on this site and I have also learnt a lot of useful stuff, (as well as expanding my wish list).

Hey Steve, might bring some big eps down to your obsy one clear night and see if we can really open up the view on your LX200 :)

It's good to waffle on :lol:

• Like 1

I love a good waffle as well.

The main purpose for buying these bins was bird watching and guess what my ID skills have improved a little since buying them  :lol:

And today I saw a male and female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, just simply awesome.

I did think about those 10x42 Canon IS ones Pete but was put off when every comment said the eyecups were really bad. Also they only come with a 2 year warrenty and when the image stabalization goes wrong is mega expensive to fix.

• Like 1

Hey Steve, might bring some big eps down to your obsy one clear night and see if we can really open up the view on your LX200 :)

It's good to waffle on :lol:

i love a good waffle as well.

The main purpose for buying these bins was bird watching and guess what my ID skills have improved a little since buying them  :lol:

And today I saw a male and female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, just simply awesome.

Well Mick, you have 2 good excuses for getting top bins, and I dare say that they must be brill for bird watching! I bet the lesser spotted Woodpeckers looked better than on HD TV !

They would be great to take on holidays too!

It's all good stuff!

Sounds awesome Mick! Would love a glimpse through quality bins like that. Glad you're getting on with them [emoji4]