• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Thinking about a Baader Herschel Wedge.

I'm thinking about doing some solar observing.

I have my new Skywatcher 120ED Esprit on a AZ mount so no tracking. I was considering the Baader Herschel Wedge and would like your opinions on which version to get, the visual or the photography one.

The Photography one comes with three additional ND filters to lessen the brightness of the sun. Can the photography one still be used as visual or am I confusing the issue.

Also can the wedge be used with any eyepiece or does the eyepiece need a filter installed as well? Do I need one of those Continuum Filter?

Also what types of views would one get from a Hershel wedge, I know it's in white light but what will I see?

So many questions.

Any thoughts

Highly recommended Mick. I bought a Lunt wedge last year and it beats the film on contrast and fine surface detail. I should imagine the photo one would be ok for visual its just opened up more for larger sensors like cameras and ccd instead of your pupil, hence they are more expensive. A continuum filter will really help with detail as well but its not necessary. I use a polarising filter as well to adjust the brightness for me or my camera, again an option not an essential.I also use planetary filters occassionally to bring stuff out, again not essential but I like playing :-)

Views, you wont see proms or filaments but you will see granulation, faculae and spots in far clearer detail and contrast than film.

My advice is get one quick whilst the sun is still active, you wont regret it.

I did a lot of looking into this last year for work, I decided on the Lunt which worked out slightly better overall. I would strongly recommend a variable polarising filter to go with it though for visual use. Get a wedge though, they are a lot better and safer too than a straight filter.

So your advice would be to get the visual one and get a good polarising filter and if I can afford it a continuum filter.

Doesn't the continuum filter turn things green?

I'm not sure what the Continium filter does to the colour but yes, I would go for that too if funds allow. The Lunt comes with filters installed already whereas I am to understand the Baader does not, but I think they are included in the price. Price wise there is little difference between the two.

If I were to buy one for myself though I would go for the 1.25" version as the 2" does not allow me to get to focus with the DSLR, although it will with a webcam or CCD. The 1.25" is a fair bit shorter I think (Phil may be able to confirm) which should allow more travel. My focus issue was with an ED80, other scopes may not have that same problem as they may have more inward travel on the drawtube.

Visually the wedge still leaves it quite bright, the polarising filter helps to bring out a lot more detail IMO and makes it more comfortable on the old mince pies. Imaging wise this is not such an issue since you can just knock the exposure down a peg or two.

It will be for visual, I doubt I will be imaging.

Never imaged in 15 years so why bother now  :lol:

Does the wedge add anything to the focal length?

Only in the same way as the diagonal would as far as I know. Visually using it I find the eyepieces focus around the same point, although it is a big unit! Having used both glass and mylar style filters the wedge is head and shoulders above both if you tone it down a bit with the filter, otherwise it's only a bit better than a glass solar filter.

That's what I have found anyway.

Hi Mick.

Missed this thread as i've been away on holiday.....

My thoughts ( limited experience )

I have the photo version Baader Herschel wedge.

I purchased it with last months eclipse in mind primarily, and have only used it for that and a couple of runs before that,

once i had 'modified' it for bino use.

That was my main reason for going down the Baader route. They do a special adapter to make it possible to work with a binoviewer  :)

Its not cheap : FLO advertise it for £429.

But i've been buying a lot of my kit from Teleskop Service in Germany (Recommended !) You can save £40-£50 with the current exchange rate.

Like all things Baader, the build quality is impressive.

It comes with a 2" Clicklock eyepiece holder and the Continuum filter and also 3 extra 2" ND filters (0.6, 0.9 1.8)

I personally don't care that much for the green sun you get with the continuum. 

I like the 'cleaner' look without it. Its a bit too bright with just the ND 3.0 so use one of the others to dim it further.

As you probably know, the ND 3.0 must NEVER be removed when observing.

With the 2" Clicklock you can add more than one extra filter if you like.

However with it removed and in bino configuration, only one extra filter can be added due to the shorter length thread.

I'd not really looked into the Lunt version.

I like the idea of the option of being able to choose either a 1.25" or 2" system and then being able to 'tune' your view with a eyepiece mounted polarising filter.

Its also about half the price of the Baader wedge.

I doubt its built to the same level as the Baader system though, and for me, this was critical as i wanted to mount a binoviewer and chunky eyepieces on it.

With the Mk V and 2x 24mm Pans it weighs well over 2 kilos.

Regarding performance, i've been impressed with it.

During the eclipse i had a few friends round and there were plenty of oohs and arrs !!

First contact with the Mk V and 19 Pans was magical. I won't forget it.

I was really lucky with my scope ; i actually got it to focus with the Mk V without needing a glass path compensator.

I had 2mm of back focus left.

So i can keep magnification to a mimimum. (38x and 48x with my 24 & 19mm Pans)

Seeing conditions don't allow for high power viewing very often when solar observing i'm led to believe.

I've read the best time to observe is in the mornings before things hot up.

I'm not much of an imager either really, but i do enjoy it. I'm just not very skilled at it.

Plenty of experts to ask though : Ibbo has taken some amazing solar images.

But lastly Mick, if your serious about getting a wedge you'd be welcome to come over and check mine out.

In fact, if you like, you could borrow mine for a week or two when you get your 120 Esprit / Alt-az setup ready to see for yourself.

It makes more sense to do that than fork out for it and find you don't want it.

Let me know......i'll PM you my contact details. 

I have the lunt 1,25 because I wanted one that would fit in all my refractors not just the ones fitted with 2 inch focusersl

As mentioned, you can use the wedges with any additional filters, I use a baader contrast booster and this brings detail out. Again as mentioned the continuum will bring out even more. You dont need them but they enhance the viewing just like any filter.

The lunt 1,25 I picked up with nd filter which is a must and a polarising filter which is optional but good for 185 notes at last years astro show. The lunt does both visual and photo, see my white light images with it.

I can recommend the lunt, havent played with the baaders but should imagine they are just as goid except you have the extra complication of visual or photo models and they are more expensive. In my books that makes the lunt a no brainer