• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mount prices?

Tezrez

Hi not yet bought a scope or mount yet. However was wondering how much do you spend on a mount and a scope 25%/75% ?

Say I've got £2000 to spend. What scope Refractor or a Reflector, goto, what eye pieces and barlows?

Thanks for any information

Tez :)

first thing you need to let us know, is this for purely visual or astro imaging.  If imaging then mount/scope is 75/25 :)  or even 100/0 then save for scope :D

• Like 1

Wow 75/25 that much eh, like photography everything is the lense.

Yes astro imaging is what I want to do.

Can you only get Canon and Nikon T adaptors

Thanks Tez

I'd better start selling other stuff on eBay Ive got now.

Where is a good a shop and  Forums for new second hand gear?

Ta Tez

Hi, If buying a Refractor is it worth spending the money on an Apochramatic scope. I have a camera lense with this and it is superb.

Thanks Tez

For imaging the mount is the most important item. I wouldn't buy anything less then an EQ6 size mount.

As for a scope, most imagers use something like a ED80, William Optics GT81 size scope. You want pretty fast optics so you can get more info down in a quicker time.

Also you need to think about filters, dew control. The last one very important as dew and kill a photo.

As for cameras, lots of members use DSLR's but then a lot use CCD cameras the choice is yours but they can be more then the scope and mount put together.

Hope this helps a little.

Either NEQ6 or AZEQ6 or whatever they call it for a mount I would say. Then I would probably go the ED80 route since it is a tried and tested route that will see you good for a good while. With imaging it is all about the mount, without a good mount it becomes much harder to do a nice job no matter what scope you have.

if your interest lies with astro photography then there are 3 things to get in correct order,

1. mount, the best you can buy or afford,

2. camera, ideally a cooled ccd, bigger the chip the more they cost generally,

3. the scope, varies in quality but a good doublet will do. 

Hi Rob thanks for the offer, how much please.I'll let you know when i've decided. But I do like the Sky Watcher EQ6 with the Williams Optics Apo GT102.

The Williams seems very good build quality, is that so. What about the Sky Watcher series?

Thanks Terry

Mines a celestron 8" sct,

Nice scope on great nick, pm me if your interested or fancy having a look with no obligation, nice to just chat about what you might want or need.

L.O.L.

just noticed that your very close to me Terry, i`m in Sandiacre just off stanton road so if you fancy popping round for a chat and coffee anytime, i`ll give you my guided tour of the obsy, free of charge, your more than welcome.

Hi Rob, thanks for the invite. Yes I'd like to pop around, maybe at the weekend if your not busy.

Thanks Tez

Mobile ????????

Edited by Daz Type-R
Removed mobile number.

Hi Tez - all good advice above - and Robs obsy tour is must. If you'd like to see a variety of refractors, I have one or two we could chat about over a cuppa. Pm me if you fancy a visit to Leicester. :)

Hi yes yes yes, thanks for the invites, will do some time.

Went to Rother Valley optics yesterday, any other shops nearby to ponder over equipment.

Tez

OOPS put phone number on a comment, thats obviously a no no.

Tez

I did drop you a PM to let you know, you have not read it yet.

;)

Hi again all, my brain hurts, ugh. Telescopes, Mounts,  Focusers, Filters and Flatteners( is that used for ccd or slr cameras), went up to Rother Valley the other day, they reccomended a NEQ6 with the scope I'd like, the William Optics 132mm Apo,only one dealer in UK. I'll have to sell some things I have kicking around ( anybody want to buy a Nikon D90 with a 50-300 vr lense).

NEQ6 is £950 from Rother Valley.

W/Optics 132 apo £3500 from UK, £2500 from the US, anyone orded from the States before? I know about import duty, been hit with 45rpm record buying before from the US.

I beleive in buying the best and not wanting to sell and get something better in six months. Is this set up any good.

Any more advice will be thank fully welcome.

Tez

Edited by Tezrez

The set up is excellent and as you say excellent quality. You will be walloped with loads off tax and I bet in the end better to buy it here in UK. Also what if it goes wrong and you need to send it back, I would buy a scope from UK only.

Btw you can only sell astro related gear here on EMS so your Nikon and lens is not allowed.

Guest peepshow

Hi again all, my brain hurts, ugh. Telescopes, Mounts,  Focusers, Filters and Flatteners

Wait until you start to climb the learning curve of astro imaging. 

Then you will know what it's like, at times, to have a brain that hurts.  :facepalm2:

...........I take Asprins for mine. :D

Terry.......

Please don't jump in head first and buy something like a FLT132.

I have one and they are very big heavy unwieldy scopes. Not for the fainthearted. All that glass takes a while to cool as well.

Mine is the older version. One or two issues with it.

The newer ones are better (i.e. new designed lens cell, which eliminates the pinched optics issue mine allegedly has)

You'll still be stuck with the WO focuser though. 

Come and have a look at mine and see what you are letting yourself in for.

Let me know and i'll PM you my details.

Don't get me wrong.....i love my scope. Spectacular for lunar / planetary / solar with my Mk V bino

Its not a big player in the DSO department though.......5 inch aperture is 5 inch aperture at the end of the day.

If i could do it all again, i would have gone down a different route.

If you really really really want to get into imaging (and have 2-3K burning a hole in your pocket.....) go down the Takahashi route.

FSQ 85ED / FSQ106ED are as good as you'll get.

My £0.02p worth.....

if you fancy a chat Sunday afternoon Terry i`ll send you my address and we can discuss some options if you like.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, finally done bought scope and a few bits today.

William Optics Megrez 90mm

Tele Vue Delos 8mm eyepeice

Small dove tail

Nikon adapter and T mount

Just need a mount now, thinking of a NEQ6, What do you think?

Thanks Tez

If you want to do photography then it's a great mount and the one you should pick, if it's only visual then it's overkill.