• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My MAK

Guest recceranger

Guest recceranger

It's a pretty good scope! Second session tonight and although seeing wasn't top top the views of Jupiter out to around x150 were excellent.

Moon shadow clearly visible on disc and crisp as a February morning on Belfast streets!

I like itðŸ˜

Nice one Rick!

You have to do a first light report for us.

Hope to see you and the mak on Saturday night at the Belper site, hope for clear skies

Tony

Guest recceranger

FLR (first light report!) on the MAK 150 Pro;

Well as far as viewing goes the atmosphere was hardly ideal for the dark art but it was a chance to get the MAK a run out;

Just an update on the OTA. I got the latest version which essentially is fitted with an SCT thread, comes with 9x50 straight through finder and 28mm LET EP. All are great additions and very welcome. However, the diagonal is poor and I used my SW ED80 one instead

Scope sits comfortably on my HEQ5 and dew was controlled by fitting a Celestron C6 dew shield. 100% dew free

Using 28mm LET I focused in on Jupiter. The Focuser has some flop but not annoying until you increase mag, then it's a royal pain. On Jupiter even at x60 the detail was stunning. Great contrast and very clear.

I increased the mag using my 8 21mm zoom but at around + x100 it was wash out. Nothing to do with scope but seeing was well below average.

On the second night viewing was better with around x180 achieved before jumpy atmosphere became a factor. However, I now love this MAK! Vow, vow and vow. The blackness of the shadow of a Jovian moon on its service was like a clip from 2010 "The Year We Make Contact"! Crystal clear and the best I have ever seen a celestial body with my own eyes. Awesome!

I tried M67, 64 and a few others. This baby can do DSO's just fine. Looking forward to observing some doubles and a few globular clusters tonight. While I'm waiting I think il just continue to be mesmerised with Jupiter and thank my lucky stars I went for the MAK

Improvements-

An SCT Focuser is a must

A quality UWA EP probably 32mm or so

Other than that it's a piece of observers artillery!