• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Trial Jupiter through the clouds.

Graham

I finally got around to cobbling together a dove tail bar for my 10 inch Meade tonight and fitted it to the NEQ6.

Although it was cloudy and the seeing was abysmal I just had to try it out.

This is the best 250 frames from 7000. I told you the conditions were awful  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

10" Meade sct

QHY 5 ll   ( I have no idea what settings I should be using with this so any suggestions would be welcomed.)

Stacked in Registax

8-April-Jupiter-SCT--combined.jpg-PS.jpg

That's good Graham, despite the high hazy cloud, the seeing was pretty stable earlier on tonight and that shows in the detail you've managed to pick out in just 250 frames. It turned shaky at about 22:30 for me. I'm currently running the three avis I managed through pipp right now.

As regards to settings you want to find a balance between exposure time and gain to get a good frame rate like 30-60 frames per second. You don't want to have the frame rate capturing too fast but at the same time you don't want the gain set too high either because you'll introduce more noise in the final image. The settings often need to be tweaked to the conditions and I have found myself doing it frequently on more turbulent nights.

Good start though, maybe whack a powermate in the image train and increase the image scale next time :)