• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astronomia closed for busines

andyboy1970

Always a shame to see another trader go under.

I brought a C8 from them at Astrofest a couple of years ago.

They were very nice people to deal with too.

Lets hope no-ones lost out with orders etc.......

That's is a shame. Nice people.

And that'll be why I haven't heard anything from them regarding a small  issue with my new Altair Astro 130EDT. I got in just in time. Exchanged the SW 120 ED. 

I thought the full price trade in deals on upgrades was too good to be true. I hope that wasn't what did for them.

As you say Andy, another one gone.  

Sad to see but I hope anybody who has goods on order from them doesn't lose out!

That's a shame :( got a couple of bits from them before. Never had a problem with any of them. Real shame

I returned an unused solar filter to them on 01/04/15 for an agreed exchange for a smaller one (to fit my 102 ST) and only found out this morning when I called to chase it!

I find it hard to believe that they knew nothing of this when they told me to send it back to them and now wonder if that's £70 of my money down the drain!

Technically it was not a new sale but a swap.

As I have received no exchange filter the original remains my property and is not their stock or subject to any liquidation process.

I obviously cannot call Neil Philipson as they are closed for business and have sent an email with limited expectations of a reply.

The voicemail declares any pending deals or customers will be contacted but as yet I have received nothing...great!

I am currently out of work and losing £70 is a big deal to me as I cannot afford to fork out that kind of money to replace what is already my own property!

I wish they had told me not to bother sending it to them, at least I could have tried selling it.

Neil if you are reading this please let he know what's happening and when I can expect my property back by personal message?

Edited by Seamaster

When did you originally buy it and did you use a credit card?

To my mind as an exchange it isn't their property so can't be liquidated by their creditors.

If you bought on credit card contact the CC company.

On (a.n.other) forum I did give a cause and solution to help large and small official independent  

dealers to stay in business..I for one am very sad to hear this recent news.

By official I mean the ones listed on D/Hinds dealer section of their website with retail shops or outlets 

where the general public can visit and see products displayed 

In other words I was trying to help prevent this type of thing happening again and again.

Was only trying to help, honest,  and I thought long and hard on how I worded it as to not upset people

My efforts calling for a support of official dealers got me banned with no warning

Other than that, I best keep things zipped (unless you want me to get on my soap box  B) )

Edited by DN18

When did you originally buy it and did you use a credit card?

To my mind as an exchange it isn't their property so can't be liquidated by their creditors.

If you bought on credit card contact the CC company.

I bought the original solar filter about two months ago (on MasterCard) but never even removed it from the packaging as I had changed my scope.

Astronomia agreed to replace it for the size down and issue a credit note for the difference of around £10.

That agreement was only made a week or so ago and I promptly posted the filter back to them.

I heard nothing since and when I tried to call them yesterday o chase progress I got the recorded message telling me the news!

The message stated that all pending orders would receive a letter explaining what to do but as this was an exchange of an existing, paid for order I was probably not on that mailing list.

I still want either the replacement or my original filter back though as it remains my property until I receive the replacement.

Neil Phillipson has since replied to my email however and claimed he would look into it and get back to me.

I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for now and will let you know the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Neil and Adele at Astronomia have kindly returned my original filter which I can at least now try to sell or trade.

Seems they were the good guys and it's a pity they can't still be around.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidakers

I have a problem and need your help.  Last year I took a 8 inch scope to be repaired.  How do I go about trying to get it back?? 

All help will be appreciated as I'm new to this site.    :(

Guest davidakers

Update.

Neil and Adele at Astronomia have kindly returned my original filter which I can at least now try to sell or trade.

Seems they were the good guys and it's a pity they can't still be around.

Seamaster how did you go about getting hold of Neil and Adele from Astronomia ???   :(

Seamaster how did you go about getting hold of Neil and Adele from Astronomia ???   :(

Email, it seems they still pick them up.