• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lindisfarne Causeway Timelapse

Johnnyaardvark

Been away in Northumberland... not had time for astronomy but had great weather and visited some lovely places. I won't bore you with all my holiday snaps but thought you may be interested in this timelapse.

https://youtu.be/_31v_edZa7Y

Steve

• Like 3

That is brilliant to watch. :thumbsup:

Will be travelling to Northumberland a lot after September when my daughter goes to Northumbria Uni.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that.

We are planning a holiday up there in August. Never been before so should be good.

• Like 1

The timelapse is quite fun isn't it!? I appear on it a couple of times... out of focus near the start for a few frames with my partner and than in the distance in the final sequence... I wave my arms a few times :-)

Quite bizarre the way people are attracted to the encroaching tide. If you are going to visit Lidisfarne (Holly Island) needless to say check the tide tables. Some very scenic walks around the island if you have time... made sure we visited the beaches as we walked around and gets you away from the crowds. The castle and priory and their history are great though. 

Northumberland is beautiful actually. One of our countries gems. Only my third time in the area and second time near the coast. Great coastline and castles, Fantastic sand dunes. Wonderful for wildlife especially birds and seals. Arrived on Holy island early Easter Sunday to the sound of a heard (or three) of [i think grey] seals on a sandbank a way off opposite the island.

Visited Kilder Water last year to sample the dark skies... certainly impressive as there is quite an expanse of moorland. Didn't get into the observatory as you really have to book quite a way in advance but if you are taking your own gear just get somewhere inland towards the moors.

• 4 months later...

Great to see that video. I was born and grew up in the north east. Visted the Northumberland coastal areas many times.

• Like 1

Great time lapse video Steve. It sure is a lovely area. We holidayed up there may / June this year and did the Farne Islands boat trip from Seahouses to see the Puffins and other seabirds that nest on those Islands. I really do recommend it if you like wildlife. Wear a padded hat though as the Arctic Terns will dive bomb you and peck your head!