• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Other Hobbies

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Killomiter

Well I am new so behave! on here and read with interest about all comments on other hobbies.

My Wife and I are new to the night sky proper, but has been born out of many years by association.

Life long sailing (mainly the English Channel) so from navigational point of view is where we started.

We had our first boat before we got our first house, took our Honeymoon at sea down on the South coast. Our last boat we named here Capella too.

Stopped Sailing in late naughties to follow culture by land instead and found oooer when we find places at night, and look up, we can still see the stars! Brilliant - being in the middle of the Charant Maritime with no light pollution and clear skies was superb. Sadly then no bino's with us.

This is not really off topic as the discussion is about other hobbies etc. Not sure about you lot but most of our pastimes have been born from work stuff. I am supposed to be a 'creative' so I have mostly prostituted my limited skills and talents (Cough) that at some point or other became my job. Take photography for example, life long interest, had a printing company with a nice darkroom space and Bob's yr Uncle - not long before I was selling and plying my photography then another branch was formed. I still do this as a profession and it has recently taken us to strange places in the world but I personally still class it as a hobby ... of sorts.

Instead of sailing nowadays we tend to motorcycle as much as we can, usually at least one ride per week all year. But like a lot of members on here, mathematics goes hand in hand with music and the arts too, and like many here a musician since well a very long time. Play Clavinova (kind of Electric Piano), flut, sax, bass, acoustic and electric guitar but what for ... well like with snapping pictures the opportunity very quickly came to bore people stupid on stage so is or was it a hobby, me thinks a hobby and that if organisations wanted to pay me then its there look out. Nobody has every paid me for a painting though so I must be really crap at that LOL!

One overriding thing about stuff we do is in part what we do in places like here ... I can honestly say that it has always been about people not the 'thing' ... having been around the block a few times and in reflection, there is little point of doing anything unless we can share it, so for me I can only conclude that it is people and sharing that is my hobby really, the rest of it perhaps it is just the vehicle that gets us there.

Wow - a bit heavy for a bank holiday Monday lunch time - sorry for the rant! But now I going to find that thread on here about EMS slowly dying see if I cannot finish it off ha ha not really 

Built a 10'x6' shed to house a model railway project based on Weybourne on the North Norfolk  railway in 00 gauge.

Im not a railway fan or modeller Ron but that sounds a great project. I have a great deal of affection for the Poppy line, good luck with it and post some pics please

Will do Phil, working on the scenery and that means lots of Gorse bushes and trees!!

Trying to stop these two from dissolving into piles of rust and trying to find time to use them!

combined_zpsmmld604y.jpg

Edited by Big Al

We're big on films and cinema sound and every 5yrs or so update our system to the latest tech. So we just got one of these Atmos systems (+ 4 "up-speakers") at the weekend - reviewed here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/onkyo-tx-nr3030-review

Now I have to spend a week wiring the darned thing up and find out how it all works lol :)

We're big on films and cinema sound and every 5yrs or so update our system to the latest tech. So we just got one of these Atmos systems (+ 4 "up-speakers") at the weekend - reviewed here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/onkyo-tx-nr3030-review

Now I have to spend a week wiring the darned thing up and find out how it all works lol :)

Just looked at that review site and seen the image of the rear of the unit .... good luck with that wiring!    :blink:

Doing better than I thought - just 4 speakers left to hook up - makes 12 speakers all together lol.

But yeah - the back panel does look busy - it's actually quite nicely laid out and pretty clear where everything goes. :)

Now the remote - that's another story hahaha!

Edited by Brantuk

• 4 weeks later...

My hobbies include....

Motorcycles, current ride is a 13s R6.

Pugs, we have a 3 year old black boy.

Running, outdoor 10k, 5k and rare half marathon.

Classic sci-fi and horror films, especially zombie movies.

Studying.

Edited by M__

Superb job Ron. That must have taken a lot of time and patience. Love the photo background which produces a sense of depth to the scene. :2thumbsup:

Just found the loco yard at Weybourne on google maps anf streetview.

Fantastic stuff Ron. Lovely details. I recon that's a good way to spend a cloudy night!

This is my 13s R6, it's got a straight thru Akrapovic, upgraded the brakes for EBC rotors, BMC ram air and Giles tooling rear-sets.

image.jpg1_zpsfzhgagaf.jpg

Edited by M__

Guest Alienfox

My hobbie is now Astronomy and Astrophotography, my other big hobbie that I had to give up due to ill health was Aquatics, I had 36 aquariums at one time and was breeding marine fish, fish are all now but gone, still have a couple of small marine aquariums that I can maintain.  My other hobbies are Photography, (Film Making, Script writing, all linked with my teaching), and my motorbikes, Yamaha Virago 525 and Kawi Intruder.  Furniture making has now been droped due to my health, I really enjoyed workiing wtih wood.

I really don't have a lot of time to enjoy all of the above, but the Astronomy has taken over as my main past time, I am really enjoying the time that I spend viewing the skies, cant wait for darker nights. :)

Wow Den that's a lot of hobbies, looking after 36 aquariums must have been a labour of love.