• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M81 & M82 Galaxies (Bode's Nebula) and M51 (Whirlpool)

Johnnyaardvark

As well as having a go at imaging Jupiter the other night (Thursday pm to Friday am) my other aim was to set up the QHY5L-II with PHD to try at guiding as well.

These were all only using 3 minute subs mostly as the red hue of the sky would not really allow longer exposures. Hence these took a bit of work to pull out any detail but still pretty chuffed as the M51 was a new target for me and also nice to capture M82 so that I can compare to an older image to confirm my super nova picture from January 2013.

Used EZplanetary while focussing and then didn't change any settings on PHD just seemed to work after running it's calibration routine?!

Some minor trails on early runs... either knocking scope OR wires snagging/pulling due to their weight. Could also do with a more fixed support for the finder/guider mounting.

Tried longer exposures guided and 7 minutes seemed not to be a problem. Now need some darker and clearer skies to try longer exposure DSO imaging!

All taken with my D5000 through the ED80 with 0.85x FF/FR on the HEQ5 Pro. 

About 10 darks, 20 flats and 20 BIAS for each.

About 10 lights for Bodes Nebula and only 5 for M51 as it was getting "early".

Combined with the Jupiter pics all in all a successful nights work! :)

Comments/feedback and advice welcome as ever.

Steve

17108524685_7f54679c3f_b.jpgM81 & M82 Galaxies (Bode's Nebula) by sja88, on Flickr

16917757210_13231682f5_b.jpgM51 (Whirlpool galaxy) widefield by sja88, on Flickr

16919112069_7292db169a_b.jpgM51 (Whirlpool galaxy) big crop by sja88, on Flickr

16919112699_828e649c80_b.jpgM51 (Whirlpool galaxy) tight crop by sja88, on Flickr

They are very nice. Lots of detail for a wide field view :thumbsup:

The other galaxy on the left of M81, NGC3077 is a peculiar one.