• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Realised an ambition this week

philjay

As part of my belated birthday treat (was working on my Bday) Fliss and I spent most of the week in York, love the city, and we were treated to a falconry display and we managed to hold a couple of dicky birds

Eagle Owl - Olly

Harris Hawk - ??

European Long Eared Owl - Eva

Magnificent creatures

MeandOlly2.jpg

MeandHarris2.jpg

Eva2.jpg

Edited by philjay

Why do you look so nervous Phil just because that Eagle Owl looks big enough to carry you off  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

They are magnificent birds.

Beautiful photos.

Hey, Olly was fine, very gentle I was allowed to stroke him. It was the Harris Hawk that had the most powerful talons and bad attitude, I was warned not to try and stroke him  :D

Edited by philjay

What magnificent birds. A few years back i was at my folks' place in Corfu and we had a power outage and it turned when my dad and I went to the transformer (just on the corner of the road where their place was) that an eagle owl had flown into the main power line and was unfortunately on the ground in a bad way. I hadn't seen one up close before then but they are huge creatures. Looks like you're enjoying yourself phil :)

Eagle owls are simply the best, 20 young birds have been released in Yorkshire recently and I think there are plans to have about 40 breeding pairs in the UK by 2020. 

You are a lucky man Phil.

They really are magnificent birds.

Several years ago on holiday in Gran Canaria, there was a an owl show at our complex. I was privileged to be allowed to hold several different species of owl including an eagle owl. One of the things that struck me about them was how lightweight they are for their size. They are all feathers really.

They are beautiful birds. Amazing how evolution has honed them perfectly, adapting them to best suit the way they hunt and survive in the wild.

Looks like you are having a very enjoyable day Phil.

We are off to West Midlands safari park today, looking forward to it too!

Great Pics there Phil. It's a great to hold something like an owl, the Harris hawk does look a bit twitchy as you say.

I watched a program about Eagle owls, and the one's that are in the Netherlands are taking Buzzards out when they roost. There was an incredible shot of one up Yorkshire somewhere on an undisclosed army range, and an Eagle owl was sat on a rock and a lamb went up to it to have a look. The owl just ignored it and the lamb got bored and wandered off. The owl just shrugged and went back to having a kip. 

My favourites are Snowy owls.

The Harris Hawk was a bit off that day, he had just had a feed so wasnt very co operative, whilst the owls were great and very patient with us public

They are not called "Raptors" for nothing - nothing to be scared of - just don't put anything within striking distance that yo don't want to loose. All you need now is to go hunting with a raptor that's a real thrill. Love the pics

Edited by stash