• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sun and Spots 18/04/2015

Johnnyaardvark

Had a go at Sol today but have to say by the time I had got out the seeing was pretty awful. Now clouds so persisted and tried a couple of methods of imaging the sun that I had been wanting to have a go at.

1st up was using my D5000 but with the revelation 2x ED Barlow. Certainly increased the image scale but maybe it was not the day with the seeing.

For some reason stacking jpg's seems to be working better? Having issues with Registax 5.1 keeps rejecting a very large number of "frames" (stills from the DSLR not avi's) and my first go only stacked 5 subs in the end?! (Any thoughts welcome!)  :wacko:

Still fairly pleased in the end... this stack (from jpg's) is from 225 of 239 images stacked and wavelets in Registax 5.0 and finished in CS2.

16571370874_699691adc4_h.jpgSun and Sunspots 18 April 2015 by sja88, on Flickr

Please feel free to follow the link and download the full size image...

Following are close-ups of a couple of active regions using the QHY5L-II. Not sure if I prefer these or if crops from the large one above would be better? Also find folcussing the QHY a little more difficult not that its particularly easy with the Nikon! :unsure:

Both, best 80% stacked from two different avi's of 1000 frames... 

17193801335_903034c2b9_b.jpgSunspots 2325 2324 18 April 2015 by sja88, on Flickr

17193801385_ef67fd455c_o.jpgSunspots 2324 18 April 2015 by sja88, on Flickr

Edit: And Reprocess no.1 (maybe?!)

17028621588_b5ba9f45af_b.jpgSun and spots re process 1 by sja88, on Flickr

Comments/feedback welcome as ever...

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

Nice start. :thumbsup:

Registax probably threw the rest out based on quality. I did a second run yesterday and it stacked 5 out of 97, since the stack did not give me any gain over the first one I scraped it. With the Sun especially you tend to be fighting the seeing a lot hence why a lot of the subs I take are thrown. Not sure why registax didn't like your raws though, that is a bit odd. Did you use the wavelets function in registax? The focus is difficult but you are not far off there.

Thanks Mike. Did use wavelets after the stack but not at the create reference frame stage. One issue I am having is with aligning and align points. Some of my images move alot from the reference frame as over the course of several sets of captures I reframed the image (mostly left to right as it near fills the frame top to bottom) partly as it has clipped the top just a little off the top of the odd image... Some of these have bits of good data but have just not been aligned?

Registered the full 1000 raw files last night and it s we selected a more respectable 53 frames to stack but some of these were massively out of align... will post that later for comments/help...

Running them through pipp now to crop and centralise them and may try again but this exports them as tiffs so my poor little pc will struggle.

Think registax should be able to cope without cropping and pre alignment though...

Thoughts welcome.

Steve

Stacking wo's in Registax 5.0... is this a problem with the settings? I have always assumed it should be able to register/align even if the images where quite out of "step" (?) with each other?

17200098682_f258fc0092_b.jpgSun Stacks All n53 missaligned Problem Stack by sja88, on Flickr

Restacking now with Tiff files cropped in PIPP... so fingers crossed I may get something a little better... maybe!?!

Steve

Good ones Steve, solar imaging isnt as easy as one first thinks but once you get the workfliw it helps.

I regularly have problems in R6 with stacking, I tend to use pipp and as2 now reserving R6 for wavelets only.

I always manually place alignment points though as I have had some strange stacks using the default ones in as2 and r6

How are you "aligning"?

Hi Mike and Phil,

Thanks for your replies...

Mostly I have been using 5 or 5.1 and usually align by selecting an align point using an Align box. I generally make the box big enough that it fits around the aboject I am aligning on. I don't change any settings apart from that. I have tried multiple and single align points/boxes.

Are there any settings I should be checking/unchecking? OK, Just checked and if I stacked the mixed up one in 5.0 I have (had) "ignore misaligned frames" unchecked were as it's checked in the other (5.1).  

I tried again last night with 6.0 after cropping with PIPP and have a 521 best of 800 (or so) stacked with 65% of files giving a 30% (odd) improvement.

I like this stack better and have used gamma correction as well as wavelets in Registax 6.0... Some of the tools look a little more refined but the defaults for the wavelets (numbers for denoise/sharpen) do not seem to be set up. What numbers/settings should you use here?

The other issue with this stack is that on zooming in there are strange artifacts where it has stacked/combined the image. They look almost like scissor cuts where it has been "cut and pasted" together.

Phil, is this one of the problems you have had with R6.0? I think I stopped using 6 at some point (hence why I have 3 versions installed!) and this problem may have been it! I thought (from memory) it was just less stable on larger stacks.

I have just started using AS!2 but found that it could not cope with the size of these images so I reverted back to registax!

Anyhow here is the version of the picture... re: snipped bits... should I try again in R5.0? OR are there settings I can adjust to make R6.0 blend the section together better?

17028621588_b5ba9f45af_b.jpgSun and spots re process 1 by sja88, on Flickr

Thanks

Steve