• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

On my wishlist (yep, i'm probably mad)

Bino-viewer

Been looking into a pair of large (ish) aperture binoculars for a while.

Doc's recent purchase of his Swarovski 10 x 50 ELs have got me more interested.

Despite the fact they look amazing, and optically in another league from what i'm used to (Canon 15x50)

the cost frightens me somewhat.

I really fancy something in the 70 - 80mm range, maybe even 100mm, but don't want to compromise on optics.

These have been on my radar and with the € rate being favourable are only a little more pricy than the Swarovskys and double the aperture.

I had a good look at a pair in February at Astrofest and was impressed.

Enter the APM 100mm ED APO Binocular with interchangeable 1.25" eyepieces.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6587_APM-100mm-45--ED-APO-binocular-with-1-25.html

A big + for me is i already have  3 sets of 1.25" Televues, and own a photographic tripod. The relevant exit pupil is doable too.

A fork mount is available at reasonable cost.

Not making any decisions yet ; more research will be needed. And probably a years worth of saving up.

But they are on my wishlist......

17002997907_2f19d182f9_o.jpgapm100ed-bino-oben by rob.0919, on Flickr

• Like 2

Hey Rob, I hope your wish comes true! I had a look at the spec on these and it's very impressive, the recommended fork mount looks the biz too.

Out of interest, Would you be also thinking of trying them on a goto type mount eventually?

Anyway, I would love to have a look through these when you get them😊 cheers!

You'd be welcome Stephen.

No go-to mount option planned. I don't even have that with my refractor.

These would be my grab & go bins  :D

Its the 2.8 deg fov that i'm interested in, although i wish it was a bit wider.

My current set up (using the Mark V)  gives me just over 1.7 deg fov with the 24 Panoptics.

I need to do plenty of research and read some user reviews.

I may look into seeing if i could pay to 'rent' a pair for a week from a dealer. Thats maybe a non starter though.

The thing i need to know is how do they compare with a 132mm refractor & binoviewer ? Are two scopes side by side a better option ?

How do they perform optically ? At F/5 i'm not convinced.

Although the optics in my scope are not up there with Tak, Tec, Astro-Physics, APM etc, i do think its more than a decent performer.

And with the best binoviewer on the market, it becomes a formidable set-up.

If anyone on the forum has any thoughts or has owned / used a set of 100mm bins i'd be interested in your thoughts.

Rob  :2thumbsup:

Here's a thought WOW!!!!

The 100eds look superb. :thumbsup:

You should get 1.15x the light grasp of the 132. 100mm bins have the light grasp of a single 141mm objective and unlike cheaper bins they are far better optimised to maximise that light for views with 1.25" eps.

I'm not sure you'd notice too much difference between the quality of the views in the 132 and the 100ed bins. It should be easier to get the wider field of view in the shorter focal ratio bins than in the 132 with binoviewer. Though you could probably get an even wider field using the 132 and a single 2" ep.

Having said all the above, I have never experienced a view through such excellent bins. If you are going to get some bins those look pretty much like the ultimate ones :)

APM make great scopes so I see no difference with these bins.

If I was going to buy a pair of large bins then these would be on my list, pretty near the top.

Your 31mm Nagler will give you x30 mag and 2.73° Tfov in your scope Rob

That's nearly as much as those bins.

Your 31mm Nagler will give you x30 mag and 2.73° Tfov in your scope Rob

That's nearly as much as those bins.

Or using a 3" 100 degree 30mm ep you could have 30x with a 3.3 degree FOV.

I think your scope has a 3.5" focuser doesn't it?

I've not made any firm decisions yet. Thank you for your posts everyone.

There is however more than one way to skin a cat.

The main issue i would be concerned with with these 100mm bins is optical quality with an F/5 focal ratio.

These APMs are a doublet design. Whatever they state, the FK-61 glass in the rear element of a doublet F/5 won't match a fluorite type (read FPL53) 

optimised triplet optic working at F/7 for colour correction.

I can detect no false colour on the moon with my FLT132 at all. 

Considering the cost of these bins, there may be a better way.

Another wish list item for me (and its the same cost give or take) is the Takahashi FSQ-85ED

With the Mk V / 24 Pans i could get a whopping 3.62 degree FOV, compared to the stated 2.8 degree FOV of the APM 100mm bins

And unparalleled optical quality in the Tak 4 element flat field design.

Its an imaging scope of course, but i've read it bino-views very well. It has ample focusing travel.

And i'd love to image with it as a beginner. Loads of accessories available with Tak too, i.e. reducers / extenders.

Looking at it now the FSQ-85ED makes a lot more sense.

Or using a 3" 100 degree 30mm ep you could have 30x with a 3.3 degree FOV.

I think your scope has a 3.5" focuser doesn't it?

Yes the Feathertouch is indeed 3.5" (and a very useful 4.5" draw tube , hence the FT3545 name)

Expensive, but still well within your budget even with a 3" diagonal!

As much as i'd love a go with a 3" eyepiece / diagonal it would probably be a marriage breaker if my wife ever saw it.

No, i must, must do this hobby with both eyes. 

I hardly ever use the 31mm Nagler anymore.

If you had the 100° 30mm EP in the Tak 85mm it would give you x15 mag and a whopping 6.66° TFOV.

As much as i'd love a go with a 3" eyepiece / diagonal it would probably be a marriage breaker if my wife ever saw it.

I'm only talking about one of those cheap 50 quid ones from the states :)

Maybe some of us aren't as honest as you Rob. :)

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 2

Thats funny, all of my little 1.25" eyepieces cost £50 too !

Only the 31mm cost a bit more.....and that was a one off buy.  ;)

• Like 1

If you had the 100° 30mm EP in the Tak 85mm it would give you x15 mag and a whopping 6.66° TFOV.

Thats a no go lol  :lol:

Think the FSQ85-ED focuser is 2" max.

That 3" monster would probably damage the draw tube bearings.....!

That 3" ep is 2.5kg, the 3" diagonal will be approaching the same, but the FSQ85 ota is only 3.9kg :)

If it did all fit together you'd probably need a 4kg balance weight on the objective end! :)

Well, all the hardware above is making my head spin, but I think you are still aiming a bit low 😃 the Hubble space tel is going to be available in 5 years time 🔭😊 don't know if it will end up on Astro buy & sell though 😚

I,m still wondering how I can approach the subject of buying some decent ep's with swmbo 😊😀ðŸ‘

• Like 1

I,m still wondering how I can approach the subject of buying some decent ep's with swmbo 😊😀ðŸ‘

Do what I do, turn off paper bills for your credit card, purchase said EP, then tell her it's one of those cheap £50 ones from America!

Works for me.

Edited by Daz Type-R
  • Like 2

Well, all the hardware above is making my head spin, but I think you are still aiming a bit low the Hubble space tel is going to be available in 5 years time don't know if it will end up on Astro buy & sell though

I,m still wondering how I can approach the subject of buying some decent ep's with swmbo

No.....Hubbles taken. Look at this webpage on the FLO website  :D

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/hubble-cassegrain-reflector-telescope.html