• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC 3953 and friends

Graham

Being its a week night only a quick stint tonight.

This is NGC 3953 and a couple of friends.

GT 81

Canon 350 D

21 X 300 second subs at ISO 800 dithered in BYE and PHD

5 Darks

21 Flats

Stacked in DSS

Quick lick in PS 6

NGC-3953-20.04.2015.jpg

• Like 1

Nice capture Graham but what do you mean by 'dithered in BYEos'? :unsure:

Ron

Dithering moves the scope by a few pixels between subs. This stops the build up of that 'Tartan'  effect you get with a dslr on the back ground.

I hope some one can explain this better than me but here goes.

This effect is caused by the matrix on the chip which gives you your colour.

When you shoot sub on top of sub the colour squares of the matrix puts the same colour on top of each other. ie green on top of green red on top of red ect ect.

When you Dither you move the image slightly so the matrix then puts a green on top of a red, a red on top of a blue ect ect and the result is they cancel each other out.

Terrible explanation I know but it does make one heck of a difference.  :facepalm:

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham,

Just checked BYEos settings and the default setting is on. Do I need to adjust these settings or are they fine on default??

Hi Graham,

Just checked BYEos settings and the default setting is on. Do I need to adjust these settings or are they fine on default??

Hi Ron

I upped my settings to increase the amount PHD moves the scope but then my old 350 is a lot less modern than yours.

Give it a try as is and if there is little improvement increase the movement.

Have you set up PHD to dither ??

Edited by Graham

I will check and see, set at 1 and I have moved it to 10 to see the difference (when I am next out!) :)

Hi Graham (and Ron)

Do you not have to use a specific setting when stacking so that the "colour noise" cancels out?

thanks

Steve

Hi Graham (and Ron)

Do you not have to use a specific setting when stacking so that the "colour noise" cancels out?

thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

No just stack as Normal in DSS.

The colour noise is created in the camera, this noise is cancelled out by the dithering at source so to speak.