• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Doctor 12.5mm 84° EP.

Doc

Any thoughts on the following eyepiece

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/eyepieces/more-74-ultra-wide-angle/other/docter-astro-eyepiece-uwa-12-5mm.html?info=2573

It's Doctor 12.5mm 84° eyepiece.

I've done a little research and it looks like the name Doctor is the astro branding name for Analytik Jena who took over the plants of Carl Zeiss, so the eyepiece has a very good pedigree.

I have not found one negative report about this eyepiece and every thing you read (which is not a lot) puts it on par if not better then the TV Ethos 13mm.

With zero tax the exchange rate works out at £485 which I think is pretty reasonable and comparable to Televue's.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Doc

Hmmmmm, TV 13mm Ethos currently going for £479, so a TV is cheaper than this and the Ethos is 100 degree FOV, so has more than the 84 degree Doctor.

I dunno, it's close, personally I would stick to what you know, would the average astronomer see the difference in quality???????

I've drooled over these eyepieces in the past, since they are absolutely top notch quality and a bit unique. In the end I came to the same conclusion as Darren above, that the Ethos was probably a better option.

The average astronomer would see the difference. Really the difference would simply be a wider field and a little spare cash with the Ethos. Both top quality, but the Doctor is a bit special and not many people have one :)

:lol:

I didn't think of that. I've drooled over this eyepiece as well Pete.

Two special eyepieces I would love, this Doctor 12.5mm 84°, and the Leitz 30mm 88°

The Germans certainly have a good reputation in optics.

This is the Rodenstock Giant, it is 40mm 70 degree...

Rodenstockgiant.jpg

This old advert shows the original Docter 12.5mm which was 90 degree and the Leitz 30mm 88 degree which it says is good down to F3.5!...

Weitfelt88.jpg

I've read about them a bit over on the Cloudy Nights binoviewer forum.

They have somewhat of a cult following i believe. Fantastic quality by all accounts.

I considered a pair for a while before i opted for my current 13mm Naglers. (mistake)

Make sure you check out Tele-vue Delos.

Quite a lot cheaper than the Docs, 10 or so degree less FOV, but from a performance perspective, right up there.

Adjustable eyecups as well : although some dislike these.

David Nagler very nearly sold me a pair of 14s at Astrofest.

I'm planning on selling off my 13 Naglers in the autumn and going down the Delos route.

Never been happy with the Naglers. 

But the Delos , like the Docs are in the 500g range.

Heading up towards 2kg with the Mark Vs. Nothing my focuser can't handle though.

But.......if you are sticking with mono, i'd opt for the 13 Ethos over the Docs.

You won't go far wrong.

Have you considered a zoom ?

Same site also sells the Leica ASPH 8.9-17.8 zoom.

A mere €799 euros.