• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Leo Triplet (And A Hint Of The Tidal Tail)

StuartJPP

Finally managed to get some imaging done on the night of the 17th/18th April from Baumber just outside Horncastle.

I was hoping for a repeat of the clear skies the following night, but alas, this is the UK so it was totally cloudy. Another problem was that it wasn't positioned very well in the sky and as such it was facing into LP (a street light).

After stacking I could see a hint of the tidal tail, but I just can't do much with it, it is too faint. If you squint you can see something there. I might try to process this one again but I just don't think there is enough data and most probably won't get another chance this season. Oh well...

Baader Modified Canon 6D
Canon 500mm f/4 L IS Lens @ f/4

Not the Astrotrac lipsrsealed.gif

19 x 300 second lights @ ISO800
20x flats
20x darks
20x bias

Night of the 17th/18th April 2015.

Thanks for looking, comments/criticism welcome. You can see a slightly larger version by clicking on the image.

17072914639_e5b1a44a86_b.jpg

Leo Triplet and friends by StuartJPP, on Flickr

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! Pity the weather clouded up on the actual ELAC meeting night...otherwise I would have been there to add some more data.

If you didn't use your astrotrac what mount did you use?

...its top secret... :whistle: