• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finder scopes. Do we really use them?

M.

Ok, so the finder scope is well; kinda shocking on my vintage C8. I often just point it in the general direction, look along the tube and go from there.

That said I'm still looking to replace the 6x30 finder for something more modern.

Also, are green or red lasers any good?

I would advise against laser pens, they are not illegal to buy or use but if you shine one into the skies and get the attention of aircraft or police helicopters you could end up in a lot of trouble.

Personally I would be tempted with a telrad as a C8 tube is pretty big and a telrad would fit on it OK.

I did think about that, but them lasers do look sleek, maybe I just get one for the pure bling factor haha

I think as far as mechanical telescope go, the C8 is really easy to adjust and it makes locating objects somewhat pleasurable. I like the vertical lock mechanism, you can then fine tune it with the Y component dial a fair few degrees, this makes tracking easy for a noob like me :)

The problem with laser finders is that the imagers start screaming at you as they get lovely lines in thier subs. I do have a laser as you can probably guess from my title, but I only use mine for out reach.

+1 for a telrad. Great bits of kit. I hardly use my finder scope since I had mine.

Edited by tuckstar

Telrads are ace Martin, they are brill, quick and easy if you are lining up with something you can see, like a star, planet, glob etc.

But even if you cannot see the object you are aiming for, you get used to using the 0.5, 2 & 4 degree circles to measure and hop to the desired location...

The Telrad is also in normal orientation... Some (most) optical finders give a left to right swapped view etc.

I have two optical finders, a Meade 6 x 50, and a skywatcher ST80, but I mostly use the Telrad.

I have numerous finders including 9x50, 12x80, RDF, Telrad, and a green laser. They all have their uses for different scopes and different situations, though I personally don't seem to get on with my little RDF.

Obviously the laser is very contentious and not to be used where people are imaging, or if air traffic is about. There is also the health and safety issue with the serious dangers of accidentally pointing it in your own or someone else's eye.

Even if you have a goto mount, you need a finder for the alignment procedure.

I myself have used small 6x30 finders and just can't find much in them. A 9x or 8x 50mm one is going to be far better.

If I am observing alone, I find my green laser, once properly aligned, is brilliant and usually the quickest for me. However, having learnt my way around the night sky over many years, I have developed the knack of being able to look at a star map, if I don't already remember where exactly where my target is, transpose that image in my minds eye directly onto the sky and in just several seconds with the laser shining have the object in the scope. I therefore only switch the laser on when the scope is roughly pushed within a few degrees of the object, get the laser on the position of the (unseen) object and switch off within about 3 or 4 seconds. So my laser isn't continuously slashing across the sky all night. Saves batteries that way too :)

The Telrad is great since it has an illuminated graticule with concentric circles at 0.5, 2 and 4 degrees iirc. Therefore star hopping is easy if you know how many degrees to go and in which direction.

Larger finders like my 12x80 are good on larger telescopes as they can better take the weight and fainter targets can often be seen directly in the finder due to the greater light grasp. An 80mm can give some lovely rich field views in its own right, but will normally be limited to a FOV of about 4.5 degrees. A 9x50 will have a wide field of 6 or 7 degrees, and is often easier to use. The correct image ones are very nice and easy to use.

For me, the laser is usually the quickest, but I do enjoy using others.

Edited by Tweedledee

It looks like Telrad is very popular, just not sure about the aesthetics :/

I've kinda ditched the idea of the laser sight because I can guarantee something will go wrong haha

I was bidding on the celestron vintage C90 with dreams of piggy backing that onto the C8, but don't want to add too much weight to this set-up.

Ive tried Telrads and dont like em, sorry to buck the trend. I prefer finders, a bog standard 9x50 will work fine on your scope Martin, but because its an sct fitting a standard synta style finder bracket will be OK provided you dont have the scope too high on whatever tripod or plinth you go for. Thats why the scts have low profile finder brackets as when the tripod is set at a comfortable heightfor viewing through the main scope the finder is reachable. A standard Synta finder bracket may be too high, I know they are on my Mak180 when its fitted to my HEQ5 and Berlebach.

To answer your original querry, yes you will find that a finder is essential with and F10 scope like yours. Sighting along the tube is ok for bright objects but try doing that with an object like M27, it will be difficult without a finder.

I much prefer to use the simple red dot type of finders.

Having said that i've never used what i'd call a decent 'standard type' of finder.

The ones i've used have been of poor quality, and been difficult to adjust.

But another vote from me for the Telrad.

Love them. I sometimes wish they were a little 'lower profile'

I have my Telrad mounted on my mount, not my scope.

15891331716_30799fed21_z.jpgRelease by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

As you can see, it looks a little precarious : its taken a few knocks, but it works very well.

Mounting one on a smallish scope would be difficult, but on a Dobsonian, i couldn't imagine using anything else.

I have used a Baader Sky Surfer 3. Worked well, but had a cheap plastic mounting which i broke  :facepalm:

I also had a premium Baader Sky Surfer V. I never used it tbh and sold it on, which i've regretted.

These are similar to rifle sights, and are all metal and has a nice big 40mm aperture with dewcaps.

I'll probably get another, but they are listed at €125 euros, and are in short supply.

TS (Germany) do a clone which is nearly half the price. I'm tempted.

Heres the Baader Sky surfer V, and the clone TS Skyfinder V.

18854515594_4d74afc299.jpg4337_9302 by Robert Seymour, on 18854520344_de21848aab.jpgskyfinder-leuchtpunktsucher-1000 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

ONE LAST THING...........

On the subject of laser pointers........i have the equivalent of something out of Star Trek.

I brought it on holiday in Egypt, not intending to use it on my scope as such, but more as a pointer at our society observing sessions, if we have newbies turn up etc.

Its a green pointer and is similar in size to say, a Havana cigar. Loads bigger than the pen type of thing.

I've had pen style green laser pointers in the past that were indifferent to say the least.....difficult to see the beam at all, susceptible to cold, with lousy battery life.

This pen was rated at 1 mv and i believe you can get unto 5 mv in the UK. I may be wrong.

The monster laser i have now has a very small, difficult to read label on it.

It was not until i got home that i got a magnifying glass on it. To my alarm it said the power was >250 mv !  :o  (Class 3c laser)

Yes 250 times as powerful as the pen. I've no idea if its legal or not, and i've no idea if there are any radiation issues.... :nuke:

I'm very, very careful with it : i wouldn't use it on the scope as a pointer. I'd probably get arrested.

Its crazy powerful, i reckon if i shone it on the moon you'd see a dot on it.

Even in daylight, i can point it at a tree 200 yards away in nearby Darley Park and can clearly see the green dot.

Not for the faint-hearted.....

• Like 2

Ok, after looking at nearly every finder that's available I've decided on the Telrad as it seems to have 5* reviews all over the net, you guys like it and it's priced well too.

To my alarm it said the power was >250 mv !  :o  (Class 3c laser)

Yes 250 times as powerful as the pen. I've no idea if its legal or not, and i've no idea if there are any radiation issues.... :nuke:

I'm very, very careful with it : i wouldn't use it on the scope as a pointer. I'd probably get arrested.

Its crazy powerful, i reckon if i shone it on the moon you'd see a dot on it.

Even in daylight, i can point it at a tree 200 yards away in nearby Darley Park and can clearly see the green dot.

Not for the faint-hearted.....

Just wait till autumn when the leaves are turning brown and drying out. We'll know who to blame when the trees burst into flame in Darley Park :)

Bet you could have fun bursting balloons and melting plastic with that laser.

• Like 1

Ok, after looking at nearly every finder that's available I've decided on the Telrad as it seems to have 5* reviews all over the net, you guys like it and it's priced well too.

Good choice Martin. :thumbsup: 

You will need some dew control on it. Have a look at this DIY Telrad dew shield...

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/4474-funky-foam-fun/

The spending never ends in this hobby lol

The price of funky foam seems to be increasing well over the inflation rate!

With wastage, I bet I used over 12 pence worth on that dew shield!

I have a very nice quality 6x30 straight through finder from a Tal 100RS that you'd be welcome to try out. It has a helical focuser and it's own tube rings, it's a super little performer with the usual excellent Russian optics.

If you like it you could suggest an offer - or if not you could just drop it back to me. Shame cos it's just gathering dust right now. :)

See this link: http://www.astro-baby.com/reviews/TAL%20100RS/TAL%20100RS%20Review.htm

The spending never ends in this hobby lol

You'd better believe it.........

I suppose with finders, it's horses for courses. I have both a Telrad and a 8X50 RACI on my Dob and they work well as a combination. I use the Telrad to get in the ball park and the finder to finally either find the object, or star hop to it.

Some times it's amazing what you can see through a 8X50 under a dark sky, M27, M13, M51 etc are all there in the finder.

Here's a useful resource, produced by the Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society.

http://www.solarius.net/Pages/Articles/dbArticle.aspx?artid=messier_finders

I suppose with finders, it's horses for courses. I have both a Telrad and a 8X50 RACI on my Dob and they work well as a combination. I use the Telrad to get in the ball park and the finder to finally either find the object, or star hop to it.

Some times it's amazing what you can see through a 8X50 under a dark sky, M27, M13, M51 etc are all there in the finder.

Here's a useful resource, produced by the Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society.

http://www.solarius.net/Pages/Articles/dbArticle.aspx?artid=messier_finders

Thanks, that is a good find :)